16 bit ODBC connection to SQL server 7.0

16 bit ODBC connection to SQL server 7.0

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Mani - do you have the 16-bit client config configured for tcp-ip sockets?
Remember that Win9x can't listen on named-pipes (the default)

> I have installed SQL server 7.0, desktop edition, on my PC running windows 98.
> I configured the SQl server and can connect to the database using 32 bit ODBC.
> I cannot, however, connect using a 16 bit ODBC (version 2.65). I can use the 16
> bit ODBC to connect to database on a remote machine running SQL server 7.0.

> Am I missing something in my PC? Any input will be extremly helpful.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. 16 Bit ODBC connection to SQL 7.0

I have an application written in FoxPro for Windows 2.6 that uses the
Microsoft FoxPro Connectivity Kit to connect to a SQL 6.5 Database and
read three tables and write one table. Everything works fine. When I
take the same application and change the DSN to select the same database
on a SQL 7.0 server the connection is reported as failing in FoxPro, but
in fact a new connection is created between my client and the SQL server
system.

The error is a -2 Handle and an error code of 5701 with a message
something like this:

ODBC Error 01000 (5701) [Microsoft SQL][....] .... context changed to
"ROIFSImportExport".

Has SQL 7.0 dropped support for 16 bit ODBC?
Are there special configuration requirements for SQL 7.0 ODBC that are
different than SQL 6.5?

Thanks,

Bill Walter

2. Using varchar fields for UTF-8 strings

3. Temporal Paradox Tables, ReadOnly???

4. Internet demo program that comes with Delphi 2.0 C/S help !!!!

5. Embarrassing! but how to find earliest sales record per customer?

6. 16-Bit ODBC Driver for SQL server 7.0 and 2000

7. Accessing SQL Server 7.0 with 16-Bit ODBC (?)

8. 16-Bit ODBC Driver for SQL server 7.0 and 2000