Transfer Db and Db Size

Post by Patrick Ne » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

After transferring my database from one device to another using SQL
Enterprise Manager (right click on db, select Transfer..., etc.), I find
that the resulting database occupies roughly 1/2 the disk space of the
original database. I have 'Truncate on checkpoint' checked on both
databases.

Is this normal? What causes this? This seems to be a 'good' thing - should
one regularly transfer databases to save space?

Patrick Nee

Sitesoft, LLC

Transfer Db and Db Size

Post by Kalen Delane » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

This is not unbelievable if you had never done any compression on the
original server. The space in both tables and indexes can get very
fragmented, and if there is no clustered index, space is never reused in a
table after rows are deleted.

To compress space, you can drop and rebuild clustered indexes on a regular
basis.

HTH

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

>Hello,

>After transferring my database from one device to another using SQL
>Enterprise Manager (right click on db, select Transfer..., etc.), I find
>that the resulting database occupies roughly 1/2 the disk space of the
>original database. I have 'Truncate on checkpoint' checked on both
>databases.

>Is this normal? What causes this? This seems to be a 'good' thing - should
>one regularly transfer databases to save space?

>Patrick Nee

>Sitesoft, LLC

Transfer Db and Db Size

Post by Patrick Ne » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Kalen,

Thanks, I didn't realize that I needed to watch fragmentation issues.

Patrick Nee

Sitesoft, LLC

>This is not unbelievable if you had never done any compression on the
>original server. The space in both tables and indexes can get very
>fragmented, and if there is no clustered index, space is never reused in a
>table after rows are deleted.

>To compress space, you can drop and rebuild clustered indexes on a regular
>basis.

>HTH

>--
>Kalen Delaney
>MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

>>Hello,

1. Database size max-ed, affect DB transfer?

Hi,
    Would appreciate any help! :)
    My database is set to max 500 MB.  Been doing a daily
Database/Object Transfer using the Sheduled Tasks in Enterprise Mgr.
Just recently, the transfer failed giving error "Unable to connect to
destination server".

    Then, found that the Database Size says it's filled to max, and even
data is shared with the log databases.  This should not be possible,
because the most recent database copied over = about 10MB.

    What is happening?  Does this relates to why I can't transfer my
database over?

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

2. Data Access Object

3. db size shrank after transfer

4. source code of DES or RSA in delphi !! (URGENT)

5. Transfer DB's Diagram between two server/DB

6. Database contention problems

7. automating data transfer from test db to live db

8. Dynamic Dimensions

9. Transfer Db Diagrams from multiple Dbs into one Db in SQL 7

10. A way to link oracle DB to postgres DB for data transfer

11. ---Source DB getting DROPPED when using Transfer DB function---

12. Any utility to auto-transfer table from one DB to another DB

13. Transfer DB to another DB through SQL