ODBC 3.50 and 3.70 with SQL7.0 concat null yields null

ODBC 3.50 and 3.70 with SQL7.0 concat null yields null

Post by Jo?l Bergero » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm using sp_dboption for changing the concat null yields null to false
beacause i have some concatanation in my application like "abc+var1".  Some
times var1 is null.  The result return null when "concat null yields null"
is true.

When i change this value to false using sp_dboption and i'm using odbc 3.50
the result of the concat. is abc.
With odbc 3.70, the result is null again.

Is there a way to correcte that with odbc 3.70?

thank's,

Joel

ODBC 3.50 and 3.70 with SQL7.0 concat null yields null

Post by Wayne Snyde » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

ODBC connections set this automatically I think.... Try taking a look
at sp_configure user options or setting the concat option
programmatically after the connection is made.

Quote:> I'm using sp_dboption for changing the concat null yields null to
false
> beacause i have some concatanation in my application

like "abc+var1".  Some

Quote:> times var1 is null.  The result return null when "concat null yields
null"

--
Wayne Snyder MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, SQL SERVER MVP
IKON Education Services, C*te, NC

Before you buy.

ODBC 3.50 and 3.70 with SQL7.0 concat null yields null

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

In addition to Wayne's comments:

I believe that Kalen did an article in SQL Mag on this topic. Check out
www.sqlmag.com.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I'm using sp_dboption for changing the concat null yields null to false
> beacause i have some concatanation in my application like "abc+var1".  Some
> times var1 is null.  The result return null when "concat null yields null"
> is true.

> When i change this value to false using sp_dboption and i'm using odbc 3.50
> the result of the concat. is abc.
> With odbc 3.70, the result is null again.

> Is there a way to correcte that with odbc 3.70?

> thank's,

> Joel

1. Concat null yields null always returns null in 70 mode

I had a database that was in dbcmptlevel 70.  Concat null
yields null was set to off.  Yet a stored procedure of
mine was returning nulls when one of the parameters of the
concatenation was null.  BooksOnLine comparison of
sp_dbcmptlevel settings tells what the behavior is when
this dboption is  when set to 'on' in dbcmptlevel 70.
What is the behavior when it is set to 'off'?? It sure
seems to be to be the same as if it is set to 'on' (on
SQL7 sp3 and sp4)

Example:  The following code returns NULL in compatibility
mode 70 whether concat null yields null is on or off.  It
returns 'xxx' when in compatibility mode 65 (concat null
yields null setting not valid in 65 mode).

If you can enlighten me as to what I don't understand...

Thanks.

2. Problems with Informix

3. ODBC version - concat null yields null

4. ODBC Error

5. concat null yields null

6. archive compression question

7. concat null yields null issue

8. Decrementing Calendar

9. CONCAT NULL YIELDS NULL doesn't work

10. concat null yields null

11. concat nulls yields null - how to turn off

12. concat null yields null