Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by Brad Melend » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hello,
Can anyone comment on the performance, good or bad when using Access Linked
Tables via ODBC to a SQL Server 7 database?  Thanks very much in advance.

.....Brad

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by mary chipma » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

it depends on the size of the tables, number of tables, number of
concurrent users, and other factors.

ultimately linked tables are not a scalable technology and hog too
many resources on the network and the server. if you're planning on
growth, consider an unbound Access application that does not rely on
linking tables. it's more work, but worth it if you don't want to have
to completely re-do everything later because your linked Access app is
a total pig.

Quote:>Hello,
>Can anyone comment on the performance, good or bad when using Access Linked
>Tables via ODBC to a SQL Server 7 database?  Thanks very much in advance.

>.....Brad

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by Brad Melend » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Mary,
That helps a lot.  The system I am dealing with most likely won't see a lot
of growth, and we already have some stuff in MS Access which I'll have to
re-do if I with the unbound method.  I almost think it could just stay in
Access entirely, but there is a push to use SQL Server.  I am only dealing
with about 40,000 employee records and there are only about 4-6 concurrent
users of the system at any given time.

...Brad

> it depends on the size of the tables, number of tables, number of
> concurrent users, and other factors.

> ultimately linked tables are not a scalable technology and hog too
> many resources on the network and the server. if you're planning on
> growth, consider an unbound Access application that does not rely on
> linking tables. it's more work, but worth it if you don't want to have
> to completely re-do everything later because your linked Access app is
> a total pig.

> >Hello,
> >Can anyone comment on the performance, good or bad when using Access
Linked
> >Tables via ODBC to a SQL Server 7 database?  Thanks very much in advance.

> >.....Brad

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by mary chipma » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

then you'll probably be fine using linked tables. just make sure to
keep your forms lean by not selecting too much data at a time. you can
also take advantage of local Jet storage for filling list boxes and
combo boxes if things get sluggish.

>Thanks Mary,
>That helps a lot.  The system I am dealing with most likely won't see a lot
>of growth, and we already have some stuff in MS Access which I'll have to
>re-do if I with the unbound method.  I almost think it could just stay in
>Access entirely, but there is a push to use SQL Server.  I am only dealing
>with about 40,000 employee records and there are only about 4-6 concurrent
>users of the system at any given time.

>...Brad

>> it depends on the size of the tables, number of tables, number of
>> concurrent users, and other factors.

>> ultimately linked tables are not a scalable technology and hog too
>> many resources on the network and the server. if you're planning on
>> growth, consider an unbound Access application that does not rely on
>> linking tables. it's more work, but worth it if you don't want to have
>> to completely re-do everything later because your linked Access app is
>> a total pig.

>> >Hello,
>> >Can anyone comment on the performance, good or bad when using Access
>Linked
>> >Tables via ODBC to a SQL Server 7 database?  Thanks very much in advance.

>> >.....Brad

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by Jonathan Willcoc » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I'd also strongly advise deriving the forms from SQL Server views,
especially
if several tables are involved.  This cuts down network traffic in that
the recordset is pre-selected on the server.  It does mean a little
duplication
of forms though - my favoured technique is a browse mode form based on a
read only view, with updates/inserts done via an unbound form (for which
purpose local tables can be useful for dropdown lists etc provided the data
therein is static).

> then you'll probably be fine using linked tables. just make sure to
> keep your forms lean by not selecting too much data at a time. you can
> also take advantage of local Jet storage for filling list boxes and
> combo boxes if things get sluggish.

> >Thanks Mary,
> >That helps a lot.  The system I am dealing with most likely won't see a
lot
> >of growth, and we already have some stuff in MS Access which I'll have to
> >re-do if I with the unbound method.  I almost think it could just stay in
> >Access entirely, but there is a push to use SQL Server.  I am only
dealing
> >with about 40,000 employee records and there are only about 4-6
concurrent
> >users of the system at any given time.

> >...Brad

> >> it depends on the size of the tables, number of tables, number of
> >> concurrent users, and other factors.

> >> ultimately linked tables are not a scalable technology and hog too
> >> many resources on the network and the server. if you're planning on
> >> growth, consider an unbound Access application that does not rely on
> >> linking tables. it's more work, but worth it if you don't want to have
> >> to completely re-do everything later because your linked Access app is
> >> a total pig.

> >Linked
advance.

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by Stan Woffo » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:03:20

Quote:>it depends on the size of the tables, number of tables, number of
>concurrent users, and other factors.

>ultimately linked tables are not a scalable technology and hog too
>many resources on the network and the server. if you're planning on
>growth,

What do you mean by "unbound Access Application"?

consider an unbound Access application that does not rely on

>linking tables. it's more work, but worth it if you don't want to have
>to completely re-do everything later because your linked Access app is
>a total pig.

>>Hello,
>>Can anyone comment on the performance, good or bad when using Access
Linked
>>Tables via ODBC to a SQL Server 7 database?  Thanks very much in advance.

>>.....Brad

Access Linked Tables via ODBC Performance??

Post by mary chipma » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:42:34

"Unbound" means that you load the data read-only and display the data
on an unbound form in unbound textboxes. there is no persistent
connection between the client and the database. data is modified by
posting back changes via SQL statements or parameterized stored
procedures. of course, you have to handle multi-user concurrency
violations in your code as well. this is the most efficient way of
working with server data and will give you the best performance and
greatest scalability.

>>it depends on the size of the tables, number of tables, number of
>>concurrent users, and other factors.

>>ultimately linked tables are not a scalable technology and hog too
>>many resources on the network and the server. if you're planning on
>>growth,

>What do you mean by "unbound Access Application"?

>consider an unbound Access application that does not rely on
>>linking tables. it's more work, but worth it if you don't want to have
>>to completely re-do everything later because your linked Access app is
>>a total pig.

>>>Hello,
>>>Can anyone comment on the performance, good or bad when using Access
>Linked
>>>Tables via ODBC to a SQL Server 7 database?  Thanks very much in advance.

>>>.....Brad

1. Linking to Access table via BDE via ODBC

I am trying to utilize the Borland Database Engine (BDE) to directly

attach a Microsoft Access table.  I figure if I can do it through the

Database Desktop, it's easy to put get the BDE itself to do it.

I don't want any popups or other interaction in specifying this table.  I

want the database specified and the table within it specified, as if I

was trying to connect to a standard BDE driver table like Paradox.

Thanks!
Nathan

2. Filemaker Pro Server 3.0

3. Preventing table update when linking oracle database table to access via ODBC

4. Creating dynamic ASX (playlists) from SQL Server

5. Insert JPG in SQL via ODBC linked table in Access fails

6. Insert Fails- SQL Server 2000

7. Linking Access db and ODBC link via Adodc

8. Decimal Bug

9. Problem linking accessing Outlook from ODBC via Access

10. Access 2002 / Access 2000 - Linking via ODBC on local machine

11. Problem accessing System table in Microsoft Access via ODBC

12. ACCESSING TEMP TABLES VIA ODBC FROM ACCESS?

13. Using Access via ODBC as Linked Server