Linked server can not read mapped drive for ODBC

Linked server can not read mapped drive for ODBC

Post by Kent Che » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:40:21

Hi, I try use linked servers to link my SQL and dBase file,  I use ODBC to
connect with my local drive (C:) dbase file, works fine.
But when I set ODBC to a mapped network drive, ODBC setup seems OK, but when
I run linked server, I can not query, error show can not find "Path",
anybody try this before?
thanks, if you can email me will be great, thanks  in advace! email:

kent chen

Linked server can not read mapped drive for ODBC

Post by Bob Pfeif » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 01:43:21

Does the account your SQL Server service uses have permissions on the
network drive where the dBase file is?

Linked server can not read mapped drive for ODBC

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:18:32

Kent - as per Bob's reply - and you must also use a UNC rather than a drive
letter

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or    http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. Linked Server to MS Access Database Using Mapped Drive

Hello:

As you may or may not have seen from my recent postings in this group, I
have been working on creating a linked server connection to an access
databas on the same server as the sql server installation, which I have done
successfully.  however, when I try to change the location of the databse to
a mapped drive to another server, I get this error:

===============================
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: 'z:\test\mydb.mdb' is not a valid path.
Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected
to the server on which the file resides.]
===============================

I get a similar error if I try to use the UNC pathname for the connection
(\\myserver\sharename\test\mydb.mdb).

Any ideas on this?  I think it has something to do with what user SQL server
is running as, and security permissions to that mapped drive are not
sufficient to connect to it as the user that SQL Server is running as.  Any
ideas on this?

- Mark

2. here are specs for free database II

3. Client Access ODBC linked server - can read not write

4. Database migration.... HELP!!!

5. SQL can not see mapped network drive

6. US-CA ORACLE DBA FOR X-CELLENT OPP. N. BAY

7. SQL Backup not recognizing mapped drive

8. Send Millions of Email at a time with Mailloop

9. local packages relating to mapped drives can not be scheduled

10. Mapped Drives and ODBC

11. ODBC wont work on mapped NT drive.

12. ODBC DSN to mapped drive

13. SQL Server does not immediately refresh a linked ODBC server when the DNS is changed