How did tempdb.mdf become Read-only?

Post by Scott Patterso » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:44:49

I just encountered a situation where the sqlservr service wouldn't start b/c
tempdb.mdf and tempdb.ldf were read-only.  Has anone else seen this happen?
How could this have happened????

Thanks

How did tempdb.mdf become Read-only?

Post by Dinesh T » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 05:09:50

Scott,

Whats the sqlserver version ???
Check the sql error log for messages like:
"Attempt to BEGIN TRANsaction in database 'tempdb' failed because database
is READ ONLY. ....kernel Failed to create temp db "

at the end of the log.

Dinesh

Quote:> I just encountered a situation where the sqlservr service wouldn't start
b/c
> tempdb.mdf and tempdb.ldf were read-only.  Has anone else seen this
happen?
> How could this have happened????

> Thanks

How did tempdb.mdf become Read-only?

Post by Jasper Smit » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 06:20:21

Do you mean read only at a Windows File level or SQL db level ?
Any 3rd party backup software running,anti-virus ?
What OS /SQL version. Why is the service stopped - is this a desktop/
developer install on a workstation ?

Quote:> I just encountered a situation where the sqlservr service wouldn't start
b/c
> tempdb.mdf and tempdb.ldf were read-only.  Has anone else seen this
happen?
> How could this have happened????

> Thanks

How did tempdb.mdf become Read-only?

Post by Shri Anandpura [M » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:02:40

If this is at the OS level,  numerous reasons including power failure ,
anti virus, 3rd party may have caused this... What is the exact error
message?

 Thanks
Shri Anandpura

You assume all risk for your use.

--------------------

| Subject: Re: How did tempdb.mdf become Read-only?
| Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:20:21 -0000

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup
|
| Do you mean read only at a Windows File level or SQL db level ?
| Any 3rd party backup software running,anti-virus ?
| What OS /SQL version. Why is the service stopped - is this a desktop/
| developer install on a workstation ?
|

| > I just encountered a situation where the sqlservr service wouldn't start
| b/c
| > tempdb.mdf and tempdb.ldf were read-only.  Has anone else seen this
| happen?
| > How could this have happened????
| >
| > Thanks

1. Tempdb.mdf and other *.mdf files??

Hi,

I am new to SQL 7.0, and I am going to an in residence 70-028 course
next week.

Occasionally I have to restart the Server service in order to recreate
the tempdb.mdf file, for it is causing my C: drive to fill.

Can I permanently move/point the tempdb.mdf (and other files like
master.mdf) file to my logical drive which has 100 gig of free space.

My C: drive is typically sized to handle the system/program file only (2
gig in size).

I am sure that I will get all the answers that I need next week, but I
am flying by the seat of my pants this week.

Any options would be appreciated.

Cheers,
BKD..

2. Referencing External Tables ??

3. Tempdb.mdf / other mdf files ????

4. Trouble with Quotes

5. clone database from 1 mdf file to multiple .mdf files (.mdf and .ndf)

6. Data Deletion in Informix

7. Query With Large Resultset (Tempdb becomes full)

8. timeout problem

9. TEMPDB Becoming Full

10. Tempdb.mdf over 2GB??

11. Big size tempdb.mdf

12. moving Tempdb.mdf for speed

13. TempDB.mdf growth in SQL Server 2000