MS DTC Problem

Post by yhki » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello there.
I used MS DTC with two servers(Server1, Server2)
on different but fully trusted domains(Domain1, Domain2)
with 56K leased line connection.
On server1, I tried
   begin distributed transaction
   exec Server2.mydb.mysp
   commit transaction
and got following message
   Msg 8524, Level 16, State 1
   The current transaction couldn't be exported to remote site.
   It has been rolled back.
I tried only remote stored procedure
with no begin distributed transaction ... commit transaction pair
and it worked.
I also tried with other two servers on same domain with LAN connection
and it worked.
I'm using MS SQL Server 6.5 and NT 3.51.
Please, help me solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.
--
Young-Han Kim

System Engineer
Research & Development Division
Tong Yang SHL Corporation
Seoul, Korea

Tel: +82-2-405-7868
Fax: +82-2-402-6183

*...imagine how little used calculus would have been
if a court had decided that no one could study, use,
or do research on it without paying a royalty to
Newton's designated heirs.*

                  - The Independent, October 5,
1992

MS DTC Problem

Post by Cassio Jos » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I had the same problem, but with a little diference: all my servers are in
a local network and none of them is conected by modem.

I dont know what was the correct origin of the problem, but I thought the
problem was a result of the installation sequence of "Windows NT Service
Pack 4" and "SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 1". In the "problem server" I had
installed "Windows NT Service Pack 4" after "SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 1"
and in all others servers I had installed the "SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack
1" before "Windows NT Service Pack 4".

To try to resolve the problem I had uninstalled the SQL Server 6.5, after
this I had installed the "Windows NT Service Pack 4" again and finaly I had
installed the "SQL Server Service Pack 1".

After this procedure, in the first try to run the Distributed Transaction
the error msg appeared again. I had reseted the DTC Log and the Distributed
Transaction had worked very well.

Besides the related problem I have seen that DTC never runs on first try
after the SQL Server installation, and always I have to reset the DTC Log.

Another problem is the follow:
When I turn off the server (PC, not the SQL) after I turn on it, the DTC
returns the same msg. To resolve this problem I have created the following
Stored Procedure in the Master Database:

/*********************************/
CREATE PROCEDURE st_RestartaDTC AS

exec xp_cmdshell "net stop MSDTC"

exec xp_cmdshell "net start MSDTC"

GO
/*********************************/

and I execute the command "sp_makestartup st_RestartaDTC" that sets a
stored procedure for auto execution.

Im sorry for my english, but i dont speak english very well.

[]s Cassio

> [...]

>    It has been rolled back.
> I tried only remote stored procedure
> with no begin distributed transaction ... commit transaction pair
> and it worked.
> I also tried with other two servers on same domain with LAN connection
> and it worked.
> I'm using MS SQL Server 6.5 and NT 3.51.
> Please, help me solve this problem.
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Young-Han Kim

> System Engineer
> Research & Development Division
> Tong Yang SHL Corporation
> Seoul, Korea

> Tel: +82-2-405-7868
> Fax: +82-2-402-6183

> *...imagine how little used calculus would have been
> if a court had decided that no one could study, use,
> or do research on it without paying a royalty to

1. SQL & network gurus: MS DTC problem

I have a number of remote SQL2K servers that use DTC to
call an sproc on my local SQL2K server (i.e. they call it
within a DISTRIBUTED TRAN and commit or rollback depending
on the error code). I'm primarily testing DTC at the
moment, so I have the remote servers executing queries
that execute distributed transactions as quickly as
possible.

Everything proceeds well at first. However, after the
remote servers have executed about 5000 distributed
transactions, DTC begins to fail -- the remote servers
receive error 8522 (Distributed transaction aborted by
MSDTC) and, if things are really bad, 911 (Communication
link failure). The local server's application event log
also fills up with event 17055 (Distributed transaction
aborted by MSDTC).

When I look at this in Performance Monitor, I see that the
average DTC response time hovers at 75 ms for a while,
then rises and eventually caps out at about 400 ms. As it
rises, the number of aborted transactions increases
(eventually rising to about 5/sec when the remote servers
are initiating about 25/sec).

At first glance, it's as if DTC is becoming saturated --
but if so, I'm not sure how to increase a timeout interval
or something to get it to queue transactions rather than
dropping them, or to execute some kind of internal flush.

Anyone else have a better guess (or, even better, a
solution)?

2. Persistent objects

3. sequence max values

4. MS DTC PROBLEM (URGENT)

5. Record limit length exceeded transferring from access

6. MS-DTC problem

7. Case: question

8. Problems With MS DTC Service

9. Problems Installing MS DTC

10. MS DTC and ASP problem/question

11. ORACLE - MS MTS/DTC performance problem

12. directing DTC trace to DTC console ?