Implementing "no changes" in database column data

Implementing "no changes" in database column data

Post by Venkat Dodd » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Can anyone suggest on how to implement "no changes" in the data in a column
in table. (This needs to be done in designing the table itself).

Regards,

Venkat

Implementing "no changes" in database column data

Post by Greg Olive » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure if this applies, but I use a 'RecordOccupied' boolean column in
one table.  I start the process by inserting records into this table based
on user entered criteria (a date and a route number).  Then I display the
records in a grid control for user editing.  If the user enters data into a
row in the grid, I change the RecordOccupied flag to true.  If, at the end
of the editing / saving process, there are records with RecordOccupied
false, I delete them to save space.

--
Greg Oliver
VendMaster Software Systems

Post by Isaac Bla » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Can anyone suggest on how to implement "no changes" in the data in a column
>in table. (This needs to be done in designing the table itself).

Create an update trigger  and check if the column that needs to be
protected is present in the SET clause using the UPDATE() function:

IF UPDATE(protectedColumn)
BEGIN
        RAISERROR(...)
        ROLLBACK TRAN
END

Implementing "no changes" in database column data

Post by Th. Schwar » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Venkat...

With the Enterprise manager you can set and revoke any user's rights to
update any columns in your tables. Right click on the table, select
'Permissions' from the pop-up menu and check 'Column Level Permissions' in
the 'Object Permissions' dialog box...

Thomas Schwarz