SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Lars Regel Jense » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00



When I opdate from MS-SQL Server 7 with SP1 I got a problem when I INSERT a
float value. Before I use this SQL statement to insert 2 float-value to a
table:

INSERT INTO TABLE (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

before SP1 it work with no problem, but now only digit before "." is insert.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lars

 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by BPMargoli » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Lars,

I executed the following code on SQL Server 7.0 w/SP1:

create table dbo.t
(
 FELT1 float,
 FELT2 float
)
go

INSERT INTO dbo.t (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

select * from dbo.t

The output returned was:

FELT1                             FELT2
-------------------------------- --------------------
123.40000000000001  2.23

which appears correct to me.

Perhaps you could elaborate further re: the error you are receiving.



Quote:> When I opdate from MS-SQL Server 7 with SP1 I got a problem when I INSERT
a
> float value. Before I use this SQL statement to insert 2 float-value to a
> table:

> INSERT INTO TABLE (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

> before SP1 it work with no problem, but now only digit before "." is
insert.

> Any help is much appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Lars


 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Ivan Santhumayo » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00


The problem might be with the client tool, you are inserting into SQL7 SP1. Have
you tried simple isql to insert these float values?
Also The Microsoft MDAC 2.0 drivers for OLEDB had a bug dealing with decimal
numbers.

Check out this article in their knowledge base.
Q195470 PRB: MDAC 2.0 ODBC Requirements for Numeric Fields


> When I opdate from MS-SQL Server 7 with SP1 I got a problem when I INSERT a
> float value. Before I use this SQL statement to insert 2 float-value to a
> table:

> INSERT INTO TABLE (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

> before SP1 it work with no problem, but now only digit before "." is insert.

> Any help is much appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Lars

--
Ivan Santhumayor
Firmwide Database Support
Goldman Sachs & Co

Note: These are my own views and not that of Goldman Sachs

 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Erland Sommarsk » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00


[posted and mailed]


Quote:>When I opdate from MS-SQL Server 7 with SP1 I got a problem when I INSERT a
>float value. Before I use this SQL statement to insert 2 float-value to a
>table:

>INSERT INTO TABLE (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

>before SP1 it work with no problem, but now only digit before "." is
>insert.

Hm, this happened to one of our customers as well. However, they didn't
apply a service pack, and they only run SQL 6.5. What they did? Well,
they did nothing, but what we did for them was to turn on SQL Mail.
No reboot or anything, just suddenly the decimals went out the window.
And when we turned of SQL Mail (still no reboot), the decimals came
back.

Now, we have SQL Mail turned on on our development machines on
our SQL Servers, but as I understood our customer was 1) running
a cluster 2) running some other mail client than our SQL Servers have.
--

This is an incomplete mess.

 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Lars Regel Jense » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Thanks to all. The same day I have Install SQL Server SP1 and start SQL
Mail, so it maybe not a SP1 problem. When I stop SQL Mail decimals came
back, but all record created with SQL Mail turned on, all decimals gone
(damage...), so I most work without SQL Mail on.
The other program on my SQL-server is:
- NT 4.0 SP5
- Mail client Microsoft Outlook 98 (8.5.6614.0),
- Backup program Seagate version 7.2.

Lars


>[posted and mailed]


>>When I opdate from MS-SQL Server 7 with SP1 I got a problem when I INSERT
a
>>float value. Before I use this SQL statement to insert 2 float-value to a
>>table:

>>INSERT INTO TABLE (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

>>before SP1 it work with no problem, but now only digit before "." is
>>insert.

>Hm, this happened to one of our customers as well. However, they didn't
>apply a service pack, and they only run SQL 6.5. What they did? Well,
>they did nothing, but what we did for them was to turn on SQL Mail.
>No reboot or anything, just suddenly the decimals went out the window.
>And when we turned of SQL Mail (still no reboot), the decimals came
>back.

>Now, we have SQL Mail turned on on our development machines on
>our SQL Servers, but as I understood our customer was 1) running
>a cluster 2) running some other mail client than our SQL Servers have.
>--

>This is an incomplete mess.

 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Erland Sommarsk » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>Thanks to all. The same day I have Install SQL Server SP1 and start SQL
>Mail, so it maybe not a SP1 problem. When I stop SQL Mail decimals came
>back, but all record created with SQL Mail turned on, all decimals gone
>(damage...), so I most work without SQL Mail on.
>The other program on my SQL-server is:
>- NT 4.0 SP5
>- Mail client Microsoft Outlook 98 (8.5.6614.0),
>- Backup program Seagate version 7.2.

Sounds awfully familliar. I seem to recall that our customer also
had Outlook on the SQL Server. But in our case it was 6.5. Really
terrible that this is still around.

--

This is an incomplete mess.

 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Tomasz Kopa » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00





>>Thanks to all. The same day I have Install SQL Server SP1 and start SQL
>>Mail, so it maybe not a SP1 problem. When I stop SQL Mail decimals came
>>back, but all record created with SQL Mail turned on, all decimals gone
>>(damage...), so I most work without SQL Mail on.
>>The other program on my SQL-server is:
>>- NT 4.0 SP5
>>- Mail client Microsoft Outlook 98 (8.5.6614.0),
>>- Backup program Seagate version 7.2.

>Sounds awfully familliar. I seem to recall that our customer also
>had Outlook on the SQL Server. But in our case it was 6.5. Really
>terrible that this is still around.

Did you try to set up decimals separator to ' . ' on NT (Regional
Settings)?
--
Pozdrawiam,
Tomasz Kopacz

 
 
 

SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

Post by Lars Regel Jense » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Yes I have tried to change from Danish to English in Regional Settings, but
it make no difference.

Lars





>>>Thanks to all. The same day I have Install SQL Server SP1 and start SQL
>>>Mail, so it maybe not a SP1 problem. When I stop SQL Mail decimals came
>>>back, but all record created with SQL Mail turned on, all decimals gone
>>>(damage...), so I most work without SQL Mail on.
>>>The other program on my SQL-server is:
>>>- NT 4.0 SP5
>>>- Mail client Microsoft Outlook 98 (8.5.6614.0),
>>>- Backup program Seagate version 7.2.

>>Sounds awfully familliar. I seem to recall that our customer also
>>had Outlook on the SQL Server. But in our case it was 6.5. Really
>>terrible that this is still around.
>Did you try to set up decimals separator to ' . ' on NT (Regional
>Settings)?
>--
>Pozdrawiam,
>Tomasz Kopacz


 
 
 

1. SQL7 SP1 problem with INSERT float value

When I opdate from MS-SQL Server 7 with SP1 I got a problem when I INSERT a
float value. Before I use this SQL statement to insert 2 float-value to a
table:

INSERT INTO TABLE (FELT1, FELT2) VALUES (1.234E2, 2.23)

before SP1 it work with no problem, but now only digit before "." is insert.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lars

2. Can DB have unused space?

3. SQL Editor

4. SQL7 SP1 BULK INSERT Memory Leak?

5. Oracle Object Database?

6. MDAC2.5-SP1 on SQL7.0EE-SP1 on NT4EE-SP6

7. know the answer but they won't take no for an answer..

8. Inserting NaN values into float fields

9. Inserting float values

10. Inserting a float value into a money datatype

11. SQL7.0 SP1 beta performance regression from SQL7.0 RTM

12. Anonymous Merge Replication SQL7 SP1&2 to JET Access 2000 Problem