Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr

Post by little » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 04:55:05

Whenever I right click on a registered SQL Server in
Enterprise Manager it takes 15 seconds before I get the
drop down menu. I ran profiler see what was taking so long
and it was because of a call to master..xp_MSADEnabled.
I'm guessing this checks to see if Active Directory is
enabled using either or 1 or 0 return code. At any rate it
only takes a second on many other SQL Servers and I have
had no luck in finding any patterns or differences between
the SQL Server in order to determine why this was
happening.

Even though this is only Enterprise Manager.... I am
afraid this is also causing a performance degradation
somewhere else within SQL Server although nothing has
surfaced yet.

I have verified that there are no Active Directory
problems. Besides another instance on the same node
doesn't react in this fashion.

Both instances are fresh installs of SQL Server E.E. on
W2K Advanced Server.

Any ideas on this is appreciated.

thx.... LittleM
.

Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr

Post by Dave Whitney [M » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:14:55

If your server is setup with the defaults the priority will be for the
Backend applications and this will make your console connection seem
sluggish. Please verify your systems Performance Options.

Dave Whitney
Microsoft SQL Server Support

reserved.

--------------------

>Subject: Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr
>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:55:05 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security

>Whenever I right click on a registered SQL Server in
>Enterprise Manager it takes 15 seconds before I get the
>drop down menu. I ran profiler see what was taking so long
>and it was because of a call to master..xp_MSADEnabled.
>I'm guessing this checks to see if Active Directory is
>enabled using either or 1 or 0 return code. At any rate it
>only takes a second on many other SQL Servers and I have
>had no luck in finding any patterns or differences between
>the SQL Server in order to determine why this was
>happening.

>Even though this is only Enterprise Manager.... I am
>afraid this is also causing a performance degradation
>somewhere else within SQL Server although nothing has
>surfaced yet.

>I have verified that there are no Active Directory
>problems. Besides another instance on the same node
>doesn't react in this fashion.

>Both instances are fresh installs of SQL Server E.E. on
>W2K Advanced Server.

>Any ideas on this is appreciated.

>thx.... LittleM
>.

Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr

Post by little » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:00:09

Thanks for your help... but to be clear the problem is the
execution of the stored procedure xp_MSADEnabled.

It is exposed by selecting the properties option after a
right-mouse click on either the SQL Server itself or one
of the databases. I don't get the same sluggish response
from another virtual server installed on the same node.
Both installs are identical and running on the same
cluster node.... but again one of them takes 15 seconds to
respond to the call to xp_MSADEnabled and the other takes
only a second.

Since the sluggishness is in calling the stored procedure
and not necessarily an application function on my end...
It wouldn't be the performance options.

Any idea what the xp_MSADEnabled stored procedure does in
order to retrieve it's results?

Thanks... littlem

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If your server is setup with the defaults the priority
will be for the
>Backend applications and this will make your console
connection seem
>sluggish. Please verify your systems Performance Options.

>Dave Whitney
>Microsoft SQL Server Support

confers no rights.
>You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft

Corporation. All rights
>reserved.

>--------------------

>>Subject: Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr
>>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:55:05 -0800

>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security

microsoft.public.sqlserver.security:4114

Quote:>>NNTP-Posting-Host: TKMSFTNGXA06 10.201.232.165

>>Whenever I right click on a registered SQL Server in
>>Enterprise Manager it takes 15 seconds before I get the
>>drop down menu. I ran profiler see what was taking so
long
>>and it was because of a call to master..xp_MSADEnabled.
>>I'm guessing this checks to see if Active Directory is
>>enabled using either or 1 or 0 return code. At any rate
it
>>only takes a second on many other SQL Servers and I have
>>had no luck in finding any patterns or differences
between
>>the SQL Server in order to determine why this was
>>happening.

>>Even though this is only Enterprise Manager.... I am
>>afraid this is also causing a performance degradation
>>somewhere else within SQL Server although nothing has
>>surfaced yet.

>>I have verified that there are no Active Directory
>>problems. Besides another instance on the same node
>>doesn't react in this fashion.

>>Both instances are fresh installs of SQL Server E.E. on
>>W2K Advanced Server.

>>Any ideas on this is appreciated.

>>thx.... LittleM
>>.

>.

Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr

Post by Dave Whitney [M » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 05:58:55

Pardon me, I missread your previous post, Active Directory is NOT currently
not supported for virtual servers.

Dave Whitney
Microsoft SQL Server Support

reserved.

--------------------

>Subject: RE: Slow right mouse click Enterprise Mgr
>Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:00:09 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.security

>Thanks for your help... but to be clear the problem is the
>execution of the stored procedure xp_MSADEnabled.
>It is exposed by selecting the properties option after a
>right-mouse click on either the SQL Server itself or one
>of the databases. I don't get the same sluggish response
>from another virtual server installed on the same node.
>Both installs are identical and running on the same
>cluster node.... but again one of them takes 15 seconds to
>respond to the call to xp_MSADEnabled and the other takes
>only a second.
>Since the sluggishness is in calling the stored procedure
>and not necessarily an application function on my end...
>It wouldn't be the performance options.
>Any idea what the xp_MSADEnabled stored procedure does in
>order to retrieve it's results?
>Thanks... littlem

1. Slow Enterprise Manager on right mouse click

[...]

2. Variable-length records

3. How to remove textbox right mouse click menu?

4. "Syntax error" message appearing without cause?

5. FP 2.6 menu on right-mouse click problem

6. compact Access 2000 Database

7. trapping right mouse click

8. Connecting MS Access to DB2 via ODBC

9. Right click menu doesn't appear at the mouse location

10. mouse right-click

11. Mouse const / right click

12. Right-click addins for Enterprise Manager

13. Enterprise Mgr is SO SLOW under SQL 7