HUH?

Post by Jeff » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:17:51

What does this error mean?

403 16 Invalid operator for data type. Operator equals %
ls, type equals %ls

HUH?

Post by Jeff » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:45:00

The actual error I am receiving is:

Invalid operator for data type. Operator equals add, type
equals ntext.

The problem is that my code is 150 lines long and it joins
several tables making it very difficult for me to post DDL
and other definitions.  I was just wondering if there was
a generic cause for that error.

Thanks

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Did you actually get this error with meaningful values or
are you just
>perusing the list of errors in BOL? If you did get this
error, how about
>giving us the full message you received and the code that
caused the error,
>you'll probably get a much more meaningful explanation.

>Michael MacGregor
>Database Architect
>SalesDriver

>.

HUH?

Post by Jeff » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:20:43

Does that apply if I am using Dynamic SQL and I have

concatenated part that I thought would be causing the
error but it still fails.  I have attached a small amount
of the code...maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks for all of your help!

an ntext column.
>For example:

>    SELECT MyTextColumn + 'some other stuff' FROM MyTable

>String concatenation with ntext is not allowed.  See the
Books Online
>for details..

>--
>Hope this helps.

>Dan Guzman
>SQL Server MVP

>-----------------------
>SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

>http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
>http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
>http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
>-----------------------

>> The actual error I am receiving is:

>> Invalid operator for data type. Operator equals add,
type
>> equals ntext.

>> The problem is that my code is 150 lines long and it
joins
>> several tables making it very difficult for me to post
DDL
>> and other definitions.  I was just wondering if there
was
>> a generic cause for that error.

>> Thanks

  NG_text.sql
< 1K Download

HUH?

Post by Dan Guzma » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:07:00

My guess is that you are attempting to concatenate with an ntext column.
For example:

    SELECT MyTextColumn + 'some other stuff' FROM MyTable

String concatenation with ntext is not allowed.  See the Books Online
for details..

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Quote:> The actual error I am receiving is:

> Invalid operator for data type. Operator equals add, type
> equals ntext.

> The problem is that my code is 150 lines long and it joins
> several tables making it very difficult for me to post DDL
> and other definitions.  I was just wondering if there was
> a generic cause for that error.

> Thanks

HUH?

Post by Dan Guzma » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:16:14

Jeff, I don't believe the code snippet you posted will cause the error.
I replaced the column names (which I assume are datetime) with variables
and removed the trailing comma and the following ran the script below
without problems.

Are any ntext columns or variables referenced in the query?  If so, make
sure you are not trying to concatenate them since that will cause the
error you're getting.  Post the DDL and query if you still have
problems.  If your tables have a lot of columns, you only need to
include the columns referenced in your query.

SELECT

VARCHAR)

+ '':'' +

VARCHAR))

60 AS VARCHAR)

END
+ '':'' +

VARCHAR)

AS ''Req to Verify''
'

GO

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

> Does that apply if I am using Dynamic SQL and I have

> concatenated part that I thought would be causing the
> error but it still fails.  I have attached a small amount
> of the code...maybe there is something I am missing.

> Thanks for all of your help!

1. Huh?-Changed language setting to ....

Hi, I'm getting the following 2 errors when I run my web application against
SQL Server. These appear only when I trap them and print them out (via
"Response.Write()" in my Active Server Page), so I'm wondering if they're
not even really errors, but rather just warnings. I'm very curious as to the
meaning of these 2 error messages, and I don't know where to look.  Thanks
in advance.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to
'rebateDev'.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed language setting to
us_english.

Sue

2. Suspect DB with corrupt log

3. Strange ,huh??

4. Insert Timeout

5. Error 925: Huh?

6. Slow SQLServer performance

7. <Long text>--huh?

8. foxpro application win<-->mac ??

9. Q: Huh?!? Ambiguous column name

10. Columns_Updated ...Huh?

11. SQL Message bufwait:timeout, BUF_IO, bp ox14c2f60....huh?

12. <Long text>---huh?

13. Error 925: Huh?