ODBC Connections over Netware

Post by Steve Yast » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Our product uses ODBC to connect between our clients and
our MS-SQL dataservers. We have a client who insists
that we install in a Netware only environment. They have
no MS Networking Client software installed on any
machines.

Their current database applications are all Oracle TNS's
defined and managed via Oracle's SQL Net Easy Config.

The basic question is, can I create ODBC connections
on the client that will talk to our SQL 7.0 databases?
Do our databases have to reside on full-blown Novell
Servers or can the databases reside on another Netware
client box in the network?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Steve Yaste
Risk Management Solutions

ODBC Connections over Netware

Post by npdavi » Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:00:00

When you set up the odbc connection on the client, specify
NWLink/Netware libraries. Just make sure the SQL server is talking
Netware too. I have never been in this position so am not sure if this
will work. It is a good place to start though...

Neil

ODBC Connections over Netware

Post by Steve » Sat, 02 Sep 2000 23:47:24

We are in similar situation and here is how we handled it. Hope some of this
helps.

We have Netware 4.11 as file and printer server. We setup NT 4 with SQL 7.
On this box we installed NDS4NT from Novell. This allows the NT box to be
managed in the NDS tree and for login names and passwords to be shared in
NDS and the SAM database.  Workstation clients are running Novell client32
ver 3.2 and Client for Microsoft Network set to login to domain with the
domain name. All clients are running IPX/SPX or NWlink (NT) and TCP/IP. We
have another NT box with Exchange that is also the DHCP Server. When a user
logs in they are using Novell client 32 and the user name and password is
automatically passed through the Client for Microsoft Networks so the user
doesn't get prompted to login again. In this configuration we can use TCP/IP
or named pipes to connect the client to the SQL Server. We tried connecting
clients to the Exchange Server using IPX/SPX and NWLink and performance was
horrible.

Yes this an elaborate solution, but it is working well and I am happy we did
it.

Steven

>Our product uses ODBC to connect between our clients and
>our MS-SQL dataservers. We have a client who insists
>that we install in a Netware only environment. They have
>no MS Networking Client software installed on any
>machines.

>Their current database applications are all Oracle TNS's
>defined and managed via Oracle's SQL Net Easy Config.

>The basic question is, can I create ODBC connections
>on the client that will talk to our SQL 7.0 databases?
>Do our databases have to reside on full-blown Novell
>Servers or can the databases reside on another Netware
>client box in the network?

>Any assistance would be appreciated.

>Steve Yaste
>Risk Management Solutions

1. ODBC connection from Windows 2000 to Netware 5.1

Hello, I'm hoping someone out there has done this before.

I'm setting up a Windows 2000 SP1 server with IIS 5 with ASP scripts on it.
These ASP scripts connect to foxpro / access databases sitting on our
Netware 5.1 server.  Note that the databases must be on the Netware 5.1 SP2a
server (no choice there).

I have the Gateway Service for Netware installed on the machine.  I have an
identical account set up on both the Netware 5 and Windows 2000 machine.
The GSNW maps the directory share correctly.

Error that I get:
[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Cannot open file
h:\web\portal\portal.dbc.
/portal/index.asp, line 7

Troubleshooting steps already taken:
If I run the scripts with the database sitting locally on the Windows 2000
machine, everything works fine.  This means that IIS is functioning
correctly, the scripts are correct, and that ODBC / DSN entries are correct
for the local path.  This also means the FoxPro drivers that I'm using are
functioning correctly.

This isn't just a bad install of something, it's been tried on multiple
machines.

I have an old NT server with IIS 4 and GSNW installed on it.  It uses the
same user that I'm using for 2000.  This means that the user has adaquate
rights and is functioning correctly.  Neither machine is set up to have
exclusive rights to the database.

In making the connection, I've tried both through using a drive letter
mapping: (ie H:\web\portal\portal.dbc) and the UNC path (ie.
\\server\share\whatever\web\portal\portal.dbc)

I think that's about it.  If anybody knows of something I might yet try,
please let me know.

Thank you,
Matt Dornfeld

2. users problem

3. NT ODBC connection to Access db on Netware server

4. *** ms sql server online discussion forum ***

5. WANTED - OLEDB Connection String Samples for Connecting to PVSQL on Netware Server

6. Any good VB_ SQL Server 7 Projects?

7. Trusted Connection from Netware to SQL Server?

8. SQL (and sqlplus) Help - Null values and calculated columns

9. Novell Netware Connections

10. FPW2.6a Losing Netware connection

11. Trusted connection with Netware and SQL Server 6.5

12. SQL Server client connection on novell netware 4.11

13. Connection Oracle7.2 Novell Netware and Delphi 1.0 C/S