db went into single user mode

Post by Shaun Stuar » Fri, 04 May 2001 00:28:51

I came in to work this morning to discover my database had gone into single
user mode sometime overnight. I'm wondering how this could have happened. I
have a full backup occurring at night and a transaction log backup going on
every two hours. From what I understand, neither of these will put it into
single user mode. I checked the logs and didn't see anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Is going into single user mode an event I can trace
with SQL Profiler?

It is possible that someone in the office put it into single user mode by
accident.

I'm running SP7 SP2.

Thanks,

Shaun

db went into single user mode

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 04 May 2001 00:59:52

Shaun,

Remove the "fix minor problems" from you maintenance job (the check part).
The bug is supposed to be fixed in sp3.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> I came in to work this morning to discover my database had gone into
single
> user mode sometime overnight. I'm wondering how this could have happened.
> have a full backup occurring at night and a transaction log backup going
on
> every two hours. From what I understand, neither of these will put it into
> single user mode. I checked the logs and didn't see anything.

> Anyone have any ideas? Is going into single user mode an event I can trace
> with SQL Profiler?

> It is possible that someone in the office put it into single user mode by
> accident.

> I'm running SP7 SP2.

> Thanks,

> Shaun

db went into single user mode

Post by Steve Cockayn » Fri, 04 May 2001 03:46:22

Shaun,

Our QA department had been having databases pop into
single-user mode at least a few times a week when performing
maintenance tasks that include the flag that Tibor suggested
turning off.

Since we moved from SQL7 SP2 to SQL7 SP3 it hasn't
happened once. I'll post here if I notice it happening with
SP3, but I'm assuming Microsoft got it fixed with SP3.

Cheers,

Steve

db went into single user mode

Post by Shaun Stuar » Fri, 04 May 2001 23:21:05

Thanks - both to you and Tibor!

Shaun

Quote:

> Shaun,

> Our QA department had been having databases pop into
> single-user mode at least a few times a week when performing
> maintenance tasks that include the flag that Tibor suggested
> turning off.

> Since we moved from SQL7 SP2 to SQL7 SP3 it hasn't
> happened once. I'll post here if I notice it happening with
> SP3, but I'm assuming Microsoft got it fixed with SP3.

> Cheers,

> Steve

db went into single user mode

Post by Sara » Fri, 04 May 2001 23:51:35

Shaun,

Running the maintenance plan will put the database in single user mode if
the repair option is selected. This is documented in Knowledge Base article
Q259551 available at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q259/5/51.ASP?LN=EN-...
n&FR=0&qry=Q259551%20%20%20%20&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=SQL

This issue is fixed under SQL Server Service Pack 3.

Sara.

db went into single user mode

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 05 May 2001 04:18:17

Steve - yes, it was defo fixed in SP3

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. DB goes into Single User Mode

I have a database that will (apparently randomly) set itself into single
user mode.  As far as I know, no-one is executing the sp_dboptions
statement.  There are a number of DTS packages that are executed on a
schedule that update data in the database.  Dose anyone have any idea why
this would be happening?

TIA
Ron Lounsbury
Progeny Systems Corp.
(Remove numbers from address when replying)

2. test

3. When Single User Mode is not Single User Mode

4. Wrap access to Oid II

5. command to disconnect db users so can switch to single user mode

6. "Cannot find cube..." error when trying to access OLAP from Excel

7. Database automatically going in single user mode?

8. problems migrating from access97 datepart

9. HELP: Server will not go into SINGLE USER MODE

10. tempdb gone into Single User mode

11. SQL 2000 going into Single User mode

12. Detect Single-User mode in OLE/DB ?

13. Maintenance Plan Integrity Check Fails Because DB is not in Single User Mode