Enterprise Manager unstable

Post by Steve Kalla » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Our development team has problems running SQL 7's Enterprise Manager.  It
often crashes our workstations while running VB 6.  Entensive use of
Enterprise Mananger during developement can sometimes causes me to reboot
several times a day.  We are all running either Windows 95 or 98.  I have
not noticed any problems on the NT Server hosting SQL Server, but its not a
development machine.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve Kallal

Enterprise Manager unstable

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Steve - try SP1, but the SQL tools have historically been very unstable on
Win9x - whether this is a Win9x and/or SQL problem I don't know, but the same
tools are rock-solid under NT.  I'd suggest the dev team move to NT

Quote:> Our development team has problems running SQL 7's Enterprise Manager.  It
> often crashes our workstations while running VB 6.  Entensive use of
> Enterprise Mananger during developement can sometimes causes me to reboot
> several times a day.  We are all running either Windows 95 or 98.  I have
> not noticed any problems on the NT Server hosting SQL Server, but its not a
> development machine.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (374 Entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Enterprise Manager unstable

Post by Steve Kalla » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply Neil.

I am already running SP1 on my system.  I my case I have installed the
desktop version so applying SP1 was easy.  What about the developers who
have done the full install of SQL Server but only the client software?

I like the idea of moving to NT Workstation for development.  But our
developers don't have admin rights on the domain.  I need a way to have
admin rights on an NT Workstation desktop, yet limited user level rights on
the domain.  Is this possible?  That is my only obstacle to developing on NT
other than convincing the boss.  This is a question for a different
newsgroup.

TIA
Steve Kallal

> Steve - try SP1, but the SQL tools have historically been very unstable on
> Win9x - whether this is a Win9x and/or SQL problem I don't know, but the
same
> tools are rock-solid under NT.  I'd suggest the dev team move to NT

> > Our development team has problems running SQL 7's Enterprise Manager.
It
> > often crashes our workstations while running VB 6.  Entensive use of
> > Enterprise Mananger during developement can sometimes causes me to
reboot
> > several times a day.  We are all running either Windows 95 or 98.  I
have
> > not noticed any problems on the NT Server hosting SQL Server, but its
not a
> > development machine.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (374 Entries) see

>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
>  or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Enterprise Manager unstable

Post by lecit.. » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

And in particular, Internet Explorer 5 makes various EM
tabbed dialog boxes crash on Win 95/98 if you don't have SQL 7
Service Pack 1 (on the client, of course).  This bit us about
three hours after I first read about it.  What else SP1 fixes is
documented (arcanely, IMO), plus how/where to download it, at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/0/19.ASP ;
VB isn't mentioned particularly that I can see, but perhaps the
tabbed dialogs are a factor again? (update to Comctl32.dll)
Anyway, this isn't one of those "only if you need it" service
packs, it's must-have.

lecithin

> Steve - try SP1, but the SQL tools have historically been very unstable on
> Win9x - whether this is a Win9x and/or SQL problem I don't know, but the same
> tools are rock-solid under NT.  I'd suggest the dev team move to NT

> > Our development team has problems running SQL 7's Enterprise Manager.  It
> > often crashes our workstations while running VB 6.  Entensive use of
> > Enterprise Mananger during developement can sometimes causes me to reboot
> > several times a day.  We are all running either Windows 95 or 98.  I have
> > not noticed any problems on the NT Server hosting SQL Server, but its not a
> > development machine.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (374 Entries) see

>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
>  or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Enterprise Manager unstable

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Steve,

Quote:> I am already running SP1 on my system.  I my case I have installed the
> desktop version so applying SP1 was easy.  What about the developers who
> have done the full install of SQL Server but only the client software?

 Just run SP1 on each of the clients - it will just upgrade the client code.

Quote:> I like the idea of moving to NT Workstation for development.  But our
> developers don't have admin rights on the domain.  I need a way to have
> admin rights on an NT Workstation desktop, yet limited user level rights on
> the domain.  Is this possible?  That is my only obstacle to developing on NT
> other than convincing the boss.  This is a question for a different
> newsgroup.

  Make them admins in the local administrator group on the NT workstation.
This DOES NOT give them admin rights to the domain.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (374 Entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. Oracle Enterprise Manager on NT vs Oracle Enterprise on UNIX

All,

    Can anyone tell me if there is a Self Expanding Option for Tablespaces
    in the Oracle Enterprise Manger on UNIX ?  And if not is self expanding
the default ?

   The NT version has whats called the Storage Manager
    which gives you the option if you want the tablespace to be self
expanding.

Thanks in advance,
Gerry

2. SQL4304N

3. Errors in Service Manager and Enterprise Manager after installing Service Pack 3

4. Code Sample

5. Enterprise Manager, Query Analyser, Service Manager etc will not launch

6. Print table?

7. Service Manager & Enterprise Manager Problems

8. best way to store graphic files in SQL 6.5?

9. Oracle8 Enterprise Manager(Backup Manager) v1.4.0 on NT

10. Enterprise Manager-ORA-12203 w/Backup Manager

11. Server Manager Icon in Enterprise Manager

12. Oracle Enterprise Manager or Oracle Server Manager