SqlServer ODBC driver for SCO Unixware Unix

SqlServer ODBC driver for SCO Unixware Unix

Post by Andrew Gonne » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

Has anyone connected to a sql server dbase from SCO Unixware Unix? If so
please can you tell me how you did it.

Thanks,

Andrew Gonnet.

SqlServer ODBC driver for SCO Unixware Unix

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Andrew,

Quote:> Has anyone connected to a sql server dbase from SCO Unixware Unix? If so
> please can you tell me how you did it.

Q.     How do I connect to SQL Server from a non-microsoft machine?  E.g. Unix,
Macintosh, OS/2 etc.

A. Microsoft don't supply their own drivers for non-Windows based clients any
longer, so you have to use a 3rd-party product.  Your choices (in no particular
order) are :-

1.  You can try acquiring/licensing/using a Sybase Open CT-Lib/Db-lib client if
one exists for your operating system.  Sybase supply drivers for many
non-Microsoft operating systems.  The downside is that Sybase's and MS's usage
of the base TDS protocol has been diverging ever since the 4.x versions of SQL
Server they both released.  Since then 6.0, 6.5 and especially 7.0 of MS's
code, and versions 10, 11 and above of Sybase's code mean that Sybase's
CT-Lib's may not give you full functionality and certainly won't give access to
any SQL 7 specific features.

To access SQL 7.0 you must use TDS 4.0 protocol versions of Sybase's CT-Lib
libraries.  With SQL 7.0 SP2 Microsoft have modified their server-side db-lib
drivers to allow TDS 5.0 clients to connect.  See the Microsoft Knowledgebase
article http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q239/8/83.asp for more
info.

2.  You could reverse engineer the undocumented TDS protocol yourself.  This
could and does change between versions of SQL Server, so only attempt this if
you want an on-going maintenance challenge.  Several people have done such
reverse engineering for the portions of TDS they needed and have reported it's
not that difficult.  Once such is the FreeTDS project that is reverse
engineering the TDS specification and is currently implementing CTLIB, DBLIB,
and JDBC interfaces for TDS.  ODBC and Perl DBD drivers are planned.

The FreeTDS JDBC driver is a type 4 driver and should work on any JVM.  The
CTLIB and DBLIB interfaces are known to compile under AIX, Linux, and FreeBSD
without any problems.  More info from http://www.freeTDS.org.

The mailing list archive can be viewed at
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=freetds.  Source-code can be
downloaded from ftp://freetds.internetcds.com/pub/freetds_dbd/
http://metalab.unc.edu/freetds/index.html

3.  If you are using a PERL script, then see the "perl.txt" FAQ entry for
details of that - some of the Perl options will work from non-Microsoft
platforms.

4.  If you can use Java/JDBC then see the "jdbc.txt" FAQ entry for details of
that

5.  If you are connecting via REXX then try www.angelfire.com/wa/djawa

6.  The recommended option is that you acquire an ODBC/OLE-DB driver from a
driver vendor that will offer on-going support.  However, many ODBC vendors
have either moved from pure client drivers to "3-tier" driver systems which
many people don't want, or they have moved from ODBC into OLE-DB.  Therefore
you may have trouble finding just what you want.  (Success and failure stories
welcome - but be persistent with whichever vendors you talk to - they may not
be actively advertising what you want, but that doesn't mean they don't still
have old but working copies of it buried in a cupboard somewhere).

Vendors to try are (in no particular order) :-

   OpenLink            www.openlinksw.com
   Merant (were Intersolv
http://www.merant.com/datadirect/products/odbc/Connect/overview.asp
   Visigenic           www.visigenic.com
   Easysoft            www.easysoft.com (ODBC-ODBC Bridge)
   Applix corp.

7.  Macintosh Info.  It appears that the Microsoft provided driver with Office
for the Mac no longer works with SQL 7.0.  It works fine with SQL 6.5 and
below.

www.snap.de.  They produce a DAL/ODBC DBMS called PrimeBase that can be used to
front-end other ODBC applications.

There are 32-bit 680x0 ODBC drivers on the Visual FoxPro for Power Macintosh CD
version 3.0.  The 32-bit drivers (v2.11 from Visigenic, v6.0b3 of the SQL
Server driver).  These work with 16-bit FoxPro 2.6a as well.  One issue is that
on MacOS 8.5.1, you get Type 1, Type 3 or Type 10 errors when you quit the
FoxPro 2.6, BUT if you compile a 680x0 executable it works ok.

You can also get Mac drivers from http://www.openlinksw.co.uk/.
http://www.iodbc.org/ has an SDK

8.  For OpenVMS try www.trifox.com.  They provide Perl, Java, JDBC, C, COBOL,
C++, etc  access from OpenVMS to Microsoft SQL server as well as 10 other DBMSs
on various platforms.

9.  For other pointers to ODBC/JDBC/OLEDB vendor's :-

   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/odbcvend.htm
   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/jdbcvend.htm
   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/oledbven.htm
   http://www.unixodbc.org
   http://www.algonet.se/~sommar/mssqlperl/unix.html

===

v1.35 2000.03.06
Applies to SQL Server versions  : All
FAQ Categories                  : Connectivity
Related FAQ articles            : n/a
Related Microsoft Kb articles   : n/a
Other related information       : n/a
Authors                         : Neil Pike

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (420 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Post by James A. Littlefiel » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hi!

> Has anyone connected to a sql server dbase from SCO Unixware Unix? If so
> please can you tell me how you did it.

> Thanks,

> Andrew Gonnet.

You might try the folks at OpenLink.   They have a bunch of middle tier
interface stuff.
Jim

SqlServer ODBC driver for SCO Unixware Unix

Post by hugh_willi.. » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

The OpenLink Data Access Drivers can provide the connectivity you
require, and are available for download for free evaluation from the
OpenLink WEB site http://www.openlinksw.co.uk

> > Hi!

> > Has anyone connected to a sql server dbase from SCO Unixware Unix?
If so
> > please can you tell me how you did it.

> > Thanks,

> > Andrew Gonnet.

> You might try the folks at OpenLink.   They have a bunch of middle
tier
> interface stuff.
> Jim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/