SQL 6.5 error, cannot start service

Post by Se7e » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Kan anyone help me please. I get the following message in event viewer:
Mesg 17130 : initdata: no memory for kernel locks

I get the error in technet but no solution

Thanks

Sias

SQL 6.5 error, cannot start service

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:00:00

 You've amended a SQL parameter that has chewed up all the memory.

 > Kan anyone help me please. I get the following message in event viewer:

Quote:> Mesg 17130 : initdata: no memory for kernel locks

Q.  I've put tempdb in RAM and now I can't restart my SQL Server.

A.  This is because the memory allocated by SQL Server does NOT include tempdb
in RAM.  There must be enough memory for SQL, tempdb AND NT otherwise SQL will
fail to start.  To recover from this :-

1.  Stop SQL Server and SQL Executive.  Also make sure that SQL Enterprise
Manager isn't running.
2.  Go to the <sql>\binn directory and type "sqlservr -c -f" - this will start
SQL in single-user mode with a minimum configuration.
3.  Ignore the text messages in this window - but wait for them to finish
appearing (shouldn't take more than 10-20 seconds)
4.  SQL Server is now started.
5.  Go to another window and start ISQL/W and connect locally with the sa
userid.
6.  In ISQL/W issue the following commands :-

      sp_configure tempdb, 0
      go
      reconfigure
      go

7.  Now go back to the window SQL is running in and type "shutdown" and enter
8.  SQL Server should shut down.  If it doesn't then hit <Ctrl-C> to shut it
down.
9.  Now you should be able to start SQL normally and connect.  You will need to
re-size tempdb as it will have gone back to the original 2MB in master.

If you get an error 615 running the sp_configure command then drop the tempdb
device first :- "sp_dropdevice tempdb" - and then start again.

===

v1.02 2000.05.14
Applies to SQL Server versions  : 4.x, 6.x
FAQ Categories                  : Troubleshooting
Related FAQ articles            : n/a
Related Microsoft Kb articles   : n/a
Other related information       : n/a
Authors                         : Neil Pike

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or    http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL 6.5 error, cannot start service

Post by a.m-sao.. » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I have the same problem
I get the error 615 when trying to reconfigure the tempdb.
I try to drop device ,but i have the error 'impossible to drop device
because database used by another database'
Can you help me please.

Thanks in advance

Abdel

>  You've amended a SQL parameter that has chewed up all the memory.

>  > Kan anyone help me please. I get the following message in event
viewer:
> > Mesg 17130 : initdata: no memory for kernel locks

> Q.  I've put tempdb in RAM and now I can't restart my SQL Server.

> A.  This is because the memory allocated by SQL Server does NOT
include tempdb
> in RAM.  There must be enough memory for SQL, tempdb AND NT otherwise
SQL will
> fail to start.  To recover from this :-

> 1.  Stop SQL Server and SQL Executive.  Also make sure that SQL
Enterprise
> Manager isn't running.
> 2.  Go to the <sql>\binn directory and type "sqlservr -c -f" - this
will start
> SQL in single-user mode with a minimum configuration.
> 3.  Ignore the text messages in this window - but wait for them to
finish
> appearing (shouldn't take more than 10-20 seconds)
> 4.  SQL Server is now started.
> 5.  Go to another window and start ISQL/W and connect locally with the
sa
> userid.
> 6.  In ISQL/W issue the following commands :-

>       sp_configure tempdb, 0
>       go
>       reconfigure
>       go

> 7.  Now go back to the window SQL is running in and type "shutdown"
and enter
> 8.  SQL Server should shut down.  If it doesn't then hit <Ctrl-C> to
shut it
> down.
> 9.  Now you should be able to start SQL normally and connect.  You
will need to
> re-size tempdb as it will have gone back to the original 2MB in
master.

> If you get an error 615 running the sp_configure command then drop the
tempdb
> device first :- "sp_dropdevice tempdb" - and then start again.

> ===

> v1.02 2000.05.14
> Applies to SQL Server versions  : 4.x, 6.x
> FAQ Categories                  : Troubleshooting
> Related FAQ articles            : n/a
> Related Microsoft Kb articles   : n/a
> Other related information       : n/a
> Authors                         : Neil Pike

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  Reply here - no email
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(faqrtf.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or    http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34
>  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SQL 6.5 error, cannot start service

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:00:00

 Abdel - so you've shared your tempdb device with another database?  Heap bad
move.  You'll have to manually delete the sysusages entries for tempdb - but
this is hairy.  I'd suggest you open a paid fault case with MS PSS and let them
hand-hold you through it...

 database with > I have the same problem

Quote:> I get the error 615 when trying to reconfigure the tempdb.
> I try to drop device ,but i have the error 'impossible to drop device
> because database used by another database'
> Can you help me please.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or    http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. HELP - cannot start SQL server service - Internal NT error

This is going to be somewhat long and I apologize in advance, but we have a
SQL Server with 15 critical databases which will not start.

Someone added a second processor to our SQL Server last week, but it wasn't
recognizing it.  That person did some research and found that you had to
run a utility found in the NT Resource Kit called Uptomp.exe to have NT
3.51 recognize the second processor.  After running that he basically came
up with a death blue screen.  He tried running the emergency repair disk,
etc. but could not get it to work.

I suggested we upgrade to NT 4.0 (we needed to do it sometime anyway) -
that actually sort of worked - it recognized both processors and we finally
got the right drivers for the NIC card, etc.  The problem is when we try
and start the SQL Server service, it says an "Internal Windows NT error
occurred" - we tried performing an upgrade to SQL server, but when it gets
about 90% through and it tries to start the sql server service we get an
error also.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to try?

Thanks in advance,
Pam

2. How can I select columns by their number (order) ???

3. cannot start 6.5 - error 806

4. Help med delete the parent row please!

5. URGENT!!! - SQL 6.5 Cannot start

6. Obtaining nTuples from a cursor

7. *** Error 1058: The service cannot be started, ...

8. Advice on Transaction Log Backups on a Cluster

9. SQL 6.5 cannot start - Failed to create temp db

10. Cannot start SQL mail on 6.5

11. SQL Server 6.5 - Can't Start the Service

12. SQL SERVER 6.5 - Service Won't Start - Please help

13. Service pack cannot be applied to SQL Server 6.5 Enterprise Edition