restore a 35 GB database over a 8 GB size harddisk

restore a 35 GB database over a 8 GB size harddisk

Post by Anthony S » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:47:36

Hi all

I have a simple question but could not find the right answer.

[1] I have a 600MB backup database from my friend's computer.
[2] I transfered it over to my computer.
[3] I have only 8 GB of free harddisk space.
[4] Upon restore, I was told that the database is 35 GB in size and actual 1
GB data in-used.

Question is, I failed at step 4. I do not have the necessary free space to
restore the data.

I need to restore *AND* shrink the database at the same time. I know
sqlitespeed may do the job, but any free tools or scripts available out
there ?

How to perform step 4 without considering a new harddisk ? Please help.

newbie

restore a 35 GB database over a 8 GB size harddisk

Post by Brian Mora » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:14:29

I'm not aware of a way to restore and shrink at the same time.

--
Brian Moran
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi all

> I have a simple question but could not find the right answer.

> [1] I have a 600MB backup database from my friend's computer.
> [2] I transfered it over to my computer.
> [3] I have only 8 GB of free harddisk space.
> [4] Upon restore, I was told that the database is 35 GB in size and actual
1
> GB data in-used.

> Question is, I failed at step 4. I do not have the necessary free space to
> restore the data.

> I need to restore *AND* shrink the database at the same time. I know
> sqlitespeed may do the job, but any free tools or scripts available out
> there ?

> How to perform step 4 without considering a new harddisk ? Please help.

> newbie

restore a 35 GB database over a 8 GB size harddisk

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:34:30

No you can't do that at restore time.  If the backup was only 600MB then
they have LOTs of free space in the DB.  I would suggest the owner of the
original DB shrink it first and then do a backup.

--
Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Targitinteractive, Inc.

Quote:> Hi all

> I have a simple question but could not find the right answer.

> [1] I have a 600MB backup database from my friend's computer.
> [2] I transfered it over to my computer.
> [3] I have only 8 GB of free harddisk space.
> [4] Upon restore, I was told that the database is 35 GB in size and actual
1
> GB data in-used.

> Question is, I failed at step 4. I do not have the necessary free space to
> restore the data.

> I need to restore *AND* shrink the database at the same time. I know
> sqlitespeed may do the job, but any free tools or scripts available out
> there ?

> How to perform step 4 without considering a new harddisk ? Please help.

> newbie

1. Database size jumped from 9 GB to 15 GB with a simple update

I have a database that contains several smaller tables,
and one huge table. The huge table has about 6 million
rows. Previously the size of the whole database was 9 GB.
The huge table occupies most of this (at least 8 GB).

Last weekend I updated two of the huge table's fields from
nvarchar(2000) to nvarchar(255). Yes, that is a reduction
in maximum sizes. During this update, the database log
grew to about 8 GB (as expected), and the database size
grew to 15 GB. After the update was completed, I was able
to truncate and shrink the log file back to a small size
(100 MB), but the data file remains at 15 GB no matter
what I do.

The huge table contains an ntext column which has data
varying from 1000 bytes to several hundred kB. The total
amount of data in this ntext field over the whole table is
about 2 GB. The huge table also contains indexes on two
nvarchar fields; these are the same ones I updated to
nvarchar(255).

I have tried running DBCC SHRINKFILE, which does several
hours of processing, but doesn't affect the size of the
database. DBCC SHRINKFILE returned the following result
set:

DbId    Field   CurrentSize     MinimumSize     UsedPages
        EstimatedPages
5       1       1762560 2560    1762512 1762512

I'd appreciate all help on how to reduce the database size
back to where it was. Batabase + backup size (12 GB more
than previously) now exceeds my disk free space, and I
have had to disable backups. I know I could buy a larger
disk, but at the moment that is not an option.

--

Noromaa Solutions - see http://www.excelsql.com

2. a question about procedure cache flushing ...

3. Wanted to increase size of database-medium to 5 GB (SQL65)

4. Error-3219?

5. MSDE and the 2 GB size limit

6. Archive 0 Failed - Help!

7. Allocation Unit Size for 25 Gb Raid Disk

8. Help: Paradox report printing!!

9. Using split and pipe to avoid 2 GB file size limit on HP-UX for exports

10. 2 GB file size limit

11. 2 GB file size limit on SUN Solaris

12. Largest db size ( Gb )?

13. 64 GB file size