SP4 Client Install

Post by Mike » Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:28:10

What is the difference between installing SP4 on a client with the
"setup.bat" and using "sqlredis.exe"?

Mike

SP4 Client Install

Post by linda deng[M » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:47:19

Hi Mike,

Setup.bat starts an InstallShield dialog box that prompts you for
information, such as whether to use SQL Server Authentication or Windows NT
Authentication. The setup process replaces the existing SQL Server or MSDE
files with the service pack files and runs several .sql script files to
update system stored procedures.

Sqlredis.exe, which is a self-extracting file, installs the MDAC 2.1 SP2
core components and the versions of the SQL Server and MSDE client
connectivity components with new versions from Database Components SP4.

For more information, please refer to the readme.txt for SQL Server 7.0 SP4
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsupport%2fservicepa...
SQL%2f7.0%2fsp4ReadMe.asp%3fSD%3dGN%26LN%3den-us).

Sincerely,

Linda Deng
Microsoft Corporation

SP4 Client Install

Post by Mike » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:14:53

Linda,

Thanks for responding. However, I should have asked why you would use one
method over the other. I have already scrutinized the readme.txt, but it
does not give any advantages or cases where the "redis" method would be
better.

Mike

Quote:> Hi Mike,

> Setup.bat starts an InstallShield dialog box that prompts you for
> information, such as whether to use SQL Server Authentication or Windows
NT
> Authentication. The setup process replaces the existing SQL Server or MSDE
> files with the service pack files and runs several .sql script files to
> update system stored procedures.

> Sqlredis.exe, which is a self-extracting file, installs the MDAC 2.1 SP2
> core components and the versions of the SQL Server and MSDE client
> connectivity components with new versions from Database Components SP4.

> For more information, please refer to the readme.txt for SQL Server 7.0
SP4

(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fsupport%2fservicepa...

Quote:> SQL%2f7.0%2fsp4ReadMe.asp%3fSD%3dGN%26LN%3den-us).

> Sincerely,

> Linda Deng
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

SP4 Client Install

Post by linda deng[M » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 20:29:46

Hi Mike,

You cannot use one to replace another. The two files implement the
different functions.

The setup.bat calls the setup.exe to install MDAC, replace some DLLs with a
newer version, execute some script files *.sql to renew some system tables
and stored procedures.

The sqlredis.exe also installs the MDAC and SQL Server client connectivity
components to support the OLE DB or ODBC APIs, or any other API built over
these two, such as ADO, RDO or DAO. It allows you to redistribute the
application that supports connections to SQL Server 2000.

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Linda Deng
Microsoft Corporation

1. SP4 Client Server Install Order

Currently we are running SP2 on our client and on our
server.  If we install SP4 on the server first, will that
cause a problem with the client if it is still at SP2?.
Do both the client and the server have to be installed at
the same time?

2. HowTo call VB EXE program from Trigger ?

3. install SQL sp4 on client

4. Speeding up Bulk Copy

5. SQL install SP4 on client

6. dbimport Questions/Problems

7. SP4 Client files won't install

8. View table metadate

9. Lower performance for non-dbo users (SQL 6.5 SP4, NT 4.0 SP4, Access 2.0 client)

10. Can I Install directly SP4 without installing sp3?

11. ERROR Installing SQL 6.5 after installing NT SP4

12. SP4 fails to install on Node1