BULK INSERT under bulk copy?

Post by Sara » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 02:57:29

Hi all,

I was told to check whether BULK INSERT performs logged or unlogged
operation.BOL says that the bulkcopy operations are nonlogged operations.
so does it mean BULK INSERT too comes under bulk copy or was it only bcp?

thanks in adv.,
Sara.

BULK INSERT under bulk copy?

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:01:54

Sara,

Bulk Insert can be thought of the same as BCP for most things including the
logging part. But neither can do a operation where nothing is logged, only
partial logging. If you meet all the criteria such as Empty Table or no
indexes, TABLOCK, Bulk Insert set etc then it will only log the Extent
changes and not each individual insert. If you don't meet the above criteria
as stated in BOL then BOTH will do individual log entries.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
Targitmail.com

Quote:> Hi all,

> I was told to check whether BULK INSERT performs logged or unlogged
> operation.BOL says that the bulkcopy operations are nonlogged operations.
> so does it mean BULK INSERT too comes under bulk copy or was it only bcp?

> thanks in adv.,
> Sara.

BULK INSERT under bulk copy?

Post by Sara » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 04:08:08

Andrew,

Yeah am very much aware abt the requirements for the nonlogged operation.I
just wanted to know whether BULK INSERT can be considered under bulk cpy.

Thanks a lot!
Sara.