Backup file file extensions

Post by gord » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

What should the file extension be for a backup file? In 6.5 the Ent
Manager would provide a default of .dat (I beleive). But in 7.0 the
extensions are it seems up-in-the-air. Can i choose whatever i want?

Backup file file extensions

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

The extension has never mattered - it can be anything you like

Quote:> What should the file extension be for a backup file? In 6.5 the Ent
> Manager would provide a default of .dat (I beleive). But in 7.0 the
> extensions are it seems up-in-the-air. Can i choose whatever i want?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (348 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. File extension on saving a file in .NET

I have a .NET solution open that I want to push to production from.
I've scripted all the tables and stored procedures, and have it all set
up nicely in source safe.

NET names the stored procedure files .PRC, yet when I go to save the
file into a new directory (production in order to check in the new copy)
it wants to insist on using .SQL.  If I thought it would be this much
hassle, I would have made them all .SQL in the first place.

Does anyone have any bright ideas/registry hacks/etc to make .NET let me
save the .PRC/.TBL/whatever files exactly as they are?

Ken Weston

2. Foxpro for MAC & PC

3. Find out file extension from file name.

4. MSSQLServerOLAPService won't start

5. SS7 back up file file extensions

6. question about case-sensitive

7. Shrinking Veritas QIO files for Oracle backups or migrating QIO files to reg files

8. You can't install MDAC_TYP.EXE using Windows Installer

9. Restoral using the *.mdb and *.ldb files instead of a backup file

10. Retrieivng sql server 200 database from file/folder structure, not a backup file

11. Restore Query (File or File Group Backups)

12. Extract files from backup file

13. separating files from backup file