SQL Crashes When I Change Slot of Network Card???

SQL Crashes When I Change Slot of Network Card???

Post by jbroo.. » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 00:40:42

Heres what happened to me.  The power supply on my PC stopped working,
so I replaced it. In the process of replacing it, I removed my network
card from the PCI slot and then later put it back in - perhaps in
another slot number, i dont know.
I am running W2K Server + SQL2K Server.

So the next thing that happens is that W2K does not recognize the
network card and when I try to re-install it, says the static IP
address I use is already assigned to a card which is "temporarily
removed or unavailable" or words to that effect. I am not able to
un-install the old card through any manipulation of control panel,
etc. But I am not a virtuoso at this either, just tried the obvious
things. twice.

Meanwhile, SQL2K is absolutely refusing to start. nada. The service
wont start, period.

So at this point I am out of options, unless I go into regedit. :(

So what I do next is unistall SQL2K and W2K. I reinstall W2K (in hopes
it will forget about me moving the card, sortof like shock therapy
treatment.) And then I re-install SQL2K.

At this point, everything works even before I apply the service packs.

(CAPS ONLY FOR READABILITY!):

BUT THE QUESTION IS:

I HAVE LOST ALL MY DATA IN THIS PROCESS. (OK - BECAUSE DATA WAS NOT
CRITICAL.) BUT GIVEN THAT PC'S ARE UNRELIABLE AND WILL OCCASIONALLY
HAVE HARDWARE CRASHES, AND GIVEN THAT W2K-SQL2K SEEMS SENSITIVE TO
EXACT HARDWARE CONFIG, HOW SAFE IS MY DATA IN THE FUTURE WITH THIS
SETUP?  IN OTHER WORDS, IS IT POSSIBLE TO BACK UP DATA SOMEHOW? THIS
HAS ME WORRIED.

SQL Crashes When I Change Slot of Network Card???

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 05:45:06

Go to control panel/admin tools/computer manager/device manager and delete the
offending card.  Turn off the machine.  Plug the card in.  Turn on the machine.
 Give it the old IP address.

 You should then, hopefully, be back up and running.

 To backup your data, try the "BACKUP DATABASE" command which is,
unsurprisngly, featured heavily in the supplied SQL documentation which is
online and fully searchable.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL Crashes When I Change Slot of Network Card???

Post by jbroo.. » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:48:47

Lets see - I went to device manager and only "card #2" is listed
there. W2K evidently thinks there is a "card #1" which is temporarily
off-line.
At this point I am resorting to tricking the OS. I can:
-uninstall card. #2  (Dont think this will work.)
-unplug card and move it to another slot to try to trick OS into
believing it is card #1. Then install and un-install.
-maybe I should apply sp2 or whatever it is for W2K - maybe that is
cause.
Any other ideas?

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 20:45:06 GMT, Neil Pike

>Go to control panel/admin tools/computer manager/device manager and delete the
>offending card.  Turn off the machine.  Plug the card in.  Turn on the machine.
> Give it the old IP address.

> You should then, hopefully, be back up and running.

> To backup your data, try the "BACKUP DATABASE" command which is,
>unsurprisngly, featured heavily in the supplied SQL documentation which is
>online and fully searchable.

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> Reply here - no email
> SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL Crashes When I Change Slot of Network Card???

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:29:04

SP2 for W2K may help - it certainly is unlikely to hurt.  I would remove
(uninstall) "both" cards and then let W2K autodetect them again...

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL Crashes When I Change Slot of Network Card???

Post by jbroo.. » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:13:54

Problem with uninstalling both cards is that W2K does not list first
card in its device manager, it just lists current as "#2"  So the
first card is not uninstallable - that would have been the first thing
I tried to do.
So I can try to plub card into different slots to see if i can trick
it into believing card #1 is back, and then un-install it from device
manager.
Maybe problem is I have to turn on "plug-and-play" in BIOS setup??
I doubt it.
Anyay I can just leave it "as is" and let it think that it is card #2.
It works because I reinstalled sql.
Thanks,
John B

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:29:04 GMT, Neil Pike