Upsizing from Access2000 to SQL fails with queries

Upsizing from Access2000 to SQL fails with queries

Post by Sven Dahli » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to migrate an Access databse from Acces97 to Access2000 to SQL7
as well. Going from 97->2000 works fine, but upsizing from Access2000 to
SQL7 doesn't work. The tables work OK, but not the queries. After converting
the tables, when the upsizing wizard starts to convert the queries,
Access2000 locks and I have to use Task Manager to get rid of it.

It seems to me as if there is a maximum number of queries that the upsizing
wizard can handle. I have 173 queries. I've tried deleting queries both from
the beginning and the end of my query list and then it works. To me it seems
as if there is a limit of around 100 queries (or maybe the limit is on
queries+tables).

Anybody else having problems? Solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Upsizing from Access2000 to SQL fails with queries

Post by mary chipm » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

it looks like you already found the solution -- upsize your tables and
queries in smaller batches. there's a ton of complicated code that
went into the upsizing wizard to parse the queries -- it doesn't
surprise me that it choked.

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:50:42 +0200, "Sven Dahlin"

>I am trying to migrate an Access databse from Acces97 to Access2000 to SQL7
>as well. Going from 97->2000 works fine, but upsizing from Access2000 to
>SQL7 doesn't work. The tables work OK, but not the queries. After converting
>the tables, when the upsizing wizard starts to convert the queries,
>Access2000 locks and I have to use Task Manager to get rid of it.

>It seems to me as if there is a maximum number of queries that the upsizing
>wizard can handle. I have 173 queries. I've tried deleting queries both from
>the beginning and the end of my query list and then it works. To me it seems
>as if there is a limit of around 100 queries (or maybe the limit is on
>queries+tables).

>Anybody else having problems? Solutions?

>Thanks in advance,

>Sven

Upsizing from Access2000 to SQL fails with queries

Post by Joe Fallo » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I got this a while back:

"The Microsoft Jet to SQL upsizing wizard is crap.  It errors out when
preparing itself.  But besides that, it times out if there is more than a
few thousand records in the table (one of my tables has 800,000 records in
it) and does not upsize the table.  Just skips it.  But worse, the damn
wizard RENAMES ALL YOUR TABLES!  No warning, it just does it.  It creates
queries that are the names of the tables.  Then it attaches the new tables
in SQL to the Jet database!  It ruined my database.  I had to delete all 67
"queries" and rename back all the correct tables.  Plus it places
underscores in place of spaces in the table names (and most likely field
names) yet SQL 7 accepts spaces.

So I went to create my own so that I could work on two projects.  It works
so good that I thought many of you would like to try it as a beta.

I have posted the features on my web site, and by the Monday after
this weekend you should be able to upload the files.  E-mail me if you are
interested in trying it."

Richard Wakefield
www.missioncriticalsw.com

--
HTH
Joe

Quote:> I am trying to migrate an Access databse from Acces97 to Access2000 to
SQL7
> as well. Going from 97->2000 works fine, but upsizing from Access2000 to
> SQL7 doesn't work. The tables work OK, but not the queries. After
converting
> the tables, when the upsizing wizard starts to convert the queries,
> Access2000 locks and I have to use Task Manager to get rid of it.

> It seems to me as if there is a maximum number of queries that the
upsizing
> wizard can handle. I have 173 queries. I've tried deleting queries both
from
> the beginning and the end of my query list and then it works. To me it
seems
> as if there is a limit of around 100 queries (or maybe the limit is on
> queries+tables).

> Anybody else having problems? Solutions?

> Thanks in advance,

> Sven

1. Error upsizing Access2000 database to SQL6.5 ('Table was skipped, or export failed)

When upsizing with the wizard I get for all tables the error: 'Table was
skipped, or export failed'.
The device and database are created normally but none of the tables are
created.

All create permissions are OK and the tables names do not contain an
apostrophe.

I tried several mdb's, even a simple 1 table Access 2000 database.
All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

2. Files created on FPW not being read on FP/Mac with Pathworks Network

3. Access2000 Upsizing wizard won't get patched for SQL Server 2000

4. bizarre informix error: 111: ISAM error

5. Access2000 query fails/works depending on primary index

6. Business Days - SQL 2000

7. problems converting Access2000 database to MSDE using the upsizing wizard

8. Distinct Count

9. Access2000 to SQL2000 upsize errors

10. Upsizing Access2000 to MSDE

11. Upsizing MS Access2000 database to MSDE

12. access2000 upsizing assistent and MSSQL 2000

13. access2000 -> sql-server connection fails