Replication fails over a VPN (Merge Replication)

Replication fails over a VPN (Merge Replication)

Post by Adam Coga » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My Merge replication fails over a VPN and I don't know what to try. Looking
at the Job History in Enterprise Manager I see the following:

1.
Uploading data changes to the Publisher
Result: In Progress

2.
Processing deletions from HIPPO.SSWData
Result: In Progress

3.
Category:COMMAND
Source:  Failed Command
Number:
Message: {call sp_MSdummyupdate (?,?,?,?,0)}
Result: In Progress

4.
Category:SQLSERVER
Source:  CHOOK
Number:  64
Message: Communication link failure
Result: In Progress

5.
The process could not deliver dummy update at the Subscriber.
Result: Retry

Then Retries 10 times and fails.... Any things I can try?

Adam
Check out these HOT UTILITIES FOR ACCESS AND VB DEVELOPERS....
www.ssw.com.au
* SSW Data PRO  - Version Control for your data.mdb
* SSW Data Renovator  - Compare the differences between two data.mdb's
* SSW Upsize PRO! - Don't UPSIZE to SQL Server without it

Replication fails over a VPN (Merge Replication)

Post by tigh.. » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Adam,

I do not know the solution, but here is some info.

Go to tech net and search for article Q191384.  It is about replication
and SQL 6.5 and timeout expired.

It might not be your problem and you might be using 7.0, like me, but
check it out.  If you go into books on line then do not look up
"Replication Task Scheduling" like it says in the article.  Look up
"Distribution Agent Profile".  I found that to be more helpful.

I tried copying the default profile and increasing the timeouts and
decreasing the batches, but nothing worked for me... until I deleted
the indexes on the ms_upd... table in the error command.

I guess removing the overhead of updating the indexes was the time
savings that the process needed.  Again this might not be the problem
that you are having, but that is all the info that I have.

Good luck.

-John Tighe

Quote:> My Merge replication fails over a VPN and I don't know what to try.
Looking
> at the Job History in Enterprise Manager I see the following:

> 1.
> Uploading data changes to the Publisher
> Result: In Progress

> 2.
> Processing deletions from HIPPO.SSWData
> Result: In Progress

> 3.
> Category:COMMAND
> Source:  Failed Command
> Number:
> Message: {call sp_MSdummyupdate (?,?,?,?,0)}
> Result: In Progress

> 4.
> Category:SQLSERVER
> Source:  CHOOK
> Number:  64
> Message: Communication link failure
> Result: In Progress

> 5.
> The process could not deliver dummy update at the Subscriber.
> Result: Retry

> Then Retries 10 times and fails.... Any things I can try?

> Adam
> Check out these HOT UTILITIES FOR ACCESS AND VB DEVELOPERS....
> www.ssw.com.au
> * SSW Data PRO  - Version Control for your data.mdb
> * SSW Data Renovator  - Compare the differences between two data.mdb's
> * SSW Upsize PRO! - Don't UPSIZE to SQL Server without it

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Merge replication over VPN fails on Win2K, MSDE 2000

Hi,

Background info.

Server: Win2K, SQL Server 2000 (SP1)

Client: Win2k, MSDE 2000 (sp2)

Merge replication, connection over VPN-checkpoint

I'm trying to run merge replication over the VPN on a Win2k machine.  It
runs successfully on the LAN but over the VPN, the scripts are applied
and the data is transferred over but then an error comes up:

"Failed to enumerate changes in the filtered articles.
Last Command: {call sp_MSsetupbelongs(?,?,?,?,?,1,?,?,1,?,?,?,?)}
General network error. Check your network documentation.
Number 11
The merge process encountered an unexpected network error. The
connection to Publisher 'MIMS' is no longer available.
Number -2147199469"

SQL Trace doesn't provide much info. on the problem.  Could this be a
problem with communication over the VPN?

Note: This runs well on Win98 machines over the VPN, so I'm really
perplexed.

Thanks,

ESP

2. bizarre informix error: 111: ISAM error

3. Merge Replication fails over VPN

4. OPENXML removes whitespace/newlines

5. Merge replication over VPN fails

6. Sybase Replication Server?

7. Merge Replication on VPN

8. Q:Naming Standards

9. Merge Replication over Internet using VPN

10. Merge Agent Failure for Replication thru Internet based VPN

11. Merge replication behind VPN (PPTP)

12. Problem with FTP when I use Pull Merge replication accross VPN

13. Merge Replication : Merge Agent fails with Garbled sp name errors