Deadlock on Thread | Communication buffer resources

Deadlock on Thread | Communication buffer resources

Post by DH43 » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:24:02

Running SQL Server 2000, I'm periodically getting this error executing a select
statement that joins 5 tables.

"Error","TID=200","06/21/02","16:54:10","ODBC Error Code = 40001 (Serialization
failure)<P> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Transaction (Process
ID 55) was deadlocked on thread | communication buffer resources with another
process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

Since this is a select only, I don't quite understand how there could be
deadlock issues.

I've searched Microsoft and other sites and don't see a lot of discussion about
deadlocks on thread | communication buffer resources.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Deadlock on Thread | Communication buffer resources

Post by Liu An ( » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:58:39

Hi,

Where did you get the error message? I suspect the error message was mixed
with something unrelated. The normal error message  from SQL Server should
be something like the following instead (without the string of "on thread |
communication buffer resources"):

    Transaction (Process ID 55) was deadlocked with another process and has
been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

The select statement will also require locks, meanwhile the connection
might be in a transaction and had already held some locks acquired by
previous operations.

You can start the troubleshooting with enabling the traceflag 1204 to get