visual relationship diagram

Post by Scott Dellinge » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Is there a program that can work with SQL Server to display a table
relationship diagram like exists in Access?  I have links to all the ms-sql
tables in an Access database (where there also exist some forms), but it
can't seem to keep track of the relationships -- if I create them and close
the window, they get lost.  It would be very helpful to have a graphical
display of the tables when discussing the database layout with my coworkers.

Scott Dellinger
Network Technician
CampusNet
JMU Technical Services

Post by Scott Dellinge » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>In this shop we use Access to do just what you are talking about.  Access
>prompts if we want to save changes when we close the window and they are
saved
>and present the next time we open the relationship... May just want to try
>again and watch the prompts/keystrokes...

It's strange.  Several of the relationships are there, but any new ones I
create are lost after I save and close the window.  The tables I set it to
display are still shown, but the relationships are gone.  I figured this
might be a known bug, so I installed the Office 97 Service Pack 1, but that
didn't seem to help.

My process: I set up the linked tables and then go into Tools|Relationships.
Most, but not all, of the tables are shown (whichever ones Access decides
you want, I guess).  At this point, there are several relationships shown,
though there is no difference as far as I know between those and all the
others.  I tell Access to display the rest of the tables, and then since it
apparently doesn't know about the table relationships in SQL Server, I
create the relationships by drag-and-drop (there are around 30 or so).  I
click the Save button, close the window, open Tools|Relationships again, and
the tables are still there but the relationships are gone.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Scott Dellinger
Network Technician
CampusNet
JMU Technical Services

visual relationship diagram

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Scott,

 Not in 6.5 - 7.0 has it built-in.  Until then you can use something
like MS Visual Database Tools, ERWin etc.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd

1. Visual Relationships in Database Diagram

Hi:

I am new to using SQL Server....If I am creating a database diagram and
create relationships between tables by dragging and dropping the relating
fields from one table to another, what does this give me other than a visual
indication of how the tables are related? IOW, how does SQL Server use this
relationship information? If I am writing my own query, I would specfy the
join conditions myself...Does SQL Server make use of these automatically
anywhere?

Thanks!
Harold

2. SQL Server 6.5 SP3

3. Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

4. Message ID's

5. Entity Relationship Diagram help

6. how to find a member from it's property in MDX ?

7. Table Diagrams/Relationships

8. centralized table definitions

9. export a table relationship diagram

10. Relationship Diagrams

11. Relationships without diagrams...? Also list constraints

12. Database relationship diagrams

13. DB diagram showing a recursive relationship