Search entire database for specific value

Search entire database for specific value

Post by Stuart Hendri » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:27:26

I have to say right up front, "I don't even consider
myself a newbie with SQL - more like a no-bie" however,
that said I need some help with a SQL statement.

I won't bother with the details of why... I need to find a
specific value in a database that could be in any table,
in any field. Short of doing a seperate query on every
field of every table is there a general query I could do
that would indicate at least which tables contain this
value?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart

Search entire database for specific value

Post by Tore » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 02:53:56

There is no such beast, unfortunately.

If you are developing a "word search" capability, look at full-text
indexing.
Otherwise, you could develop a stored procedure that parses all tables and
columns looking for the word.  It won't be a speed demon... :-<

HTH,
Tore.

Quote:> I have to say right up front, "I don't even consider
> myself a newbie with SQL - more like a no-bie" however,
> that said I need some help with a SQL statement.

> I won't bother with the details of why... I need to find a
> specific value in a database that could be in any table,
> in any field. Short of doing a seperate query on every
> field of every table is there a general query I could do
> that would indicate at least which tables contain this
> value?

> Your help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Stuart

Search entire database for specific value

Post by DaveSat » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:17:22

I had download a while back a product called "SQL Server Find" that did what
you are talking about.

--
HTH,
David Satz

Quote:> I have to say right up front, "I don't even consider
> myself a newbie with SQL - more like a no-bie" however,
> that said I need some help with a SQL statement.

> I won't bother with the details of why... I need to find a
> specific value in a database that could be in any table,
> in any field. Short of doing a seperate query on every
> field of every table is there a general query I could do
> that would indicate at least which tables contain this
> value?

> Your help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Stuart

Search entire database for specific value

Post by RenĂ© van Noorloo » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:59:36

written in the dutch language.

Ren

> I had download a while back a product called "SQL Server Find" that did
what
> you are talking about.

> --
> HTH,
> David Satz
> Principal Software Engineer
> Hyperion Solutions
> ->Using SQL Server 2000 SP1/7.0 SP3/6.5 SP5a/Cold Fusion 4.5.1 SP2/VSS
> (Please reply to group only - emails answered rarely)

> > I have to say right up front, "I don't even consider
> > myself a newbie with SQL - more like a no-bie" however,
> > that said I need some help with a SQL statement.

> > I won't bother with the details of why... I need to find a
> > specific value in a database that could be in any table,
> > in any field. Short of doing a seperate query on every
> > field of every table is there a general query I could do
> > that would indicate at least which tables contain this
> > value?

> > Your help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,
> > Stuart

1. Searching specific values

This is my problem.
Table Help
Row Me
Varchar 16

   18882534569
   8524568  45
   8526845  44
18003251258  8
18775282525  1
   18120252255
   8523254  23

I would like to selct only the ones with a continious string character
of 11. Any thing else will not be selected. Once I have the selected
fields I would like to discard the tail if they have one. So the final
result should only show.

18882534569
18003251258
18775282525
18120252255

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. execution of dts packages

3. inserting specific values returned by a subquery into specific columns

4. Stored Procedure for Replication

5. Newbie Searching for a specific field on database

6. Lat, Long

7. I am searching for databases containing specific information

8. I need help huge problem

9. Search for specific Databases.

10. send specific oracle 8i table data to specific sql server 2000 table at specific times

11. Full-text search against entire catalog?

12. Searching entire hard disk

13. Not getting entire value