Sql7 slow compared to 6.5 ??

Post by Dan Lewi » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

We just "upgraded" from sql6.5 sp5 - to SBS Sql 7 and loaded the ODBC
drivers and SQL tools that came with it.  I used a report generation app
- written in Delphi 4- to test it.  It works, generates a 20 page report
correctly, but is excruciatingly slow.- est. 20 times slower (1 min for
sql6.5 to 20 minutes for sql7.0)

I used Profiler and Query analyzer to create a .trc file using one of
the more time consuming stored procedures,  and used the .trc file in
the Index tuning wizard.  I accepted the recommended changes and now
sql7.0 is only 5 times slower than 6.5.  These times are from query
analyzer - not the delphi app.

the two servers or identical, dual 400Mhz processor, raid 5.  the only
diff. is that the 7.0 server has twice the ram. (256Meg). Both machines
are dedicated to the dbservers.

Anybody have a magic bullet for this? TIA.

--
---------------------------
Dan Lewis

http://www.serve.com/dlewis
---------------------------

Sql7 slow compared to 6.5 ??

Post by Dave Coru » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

yeah.  Install Service Pack 1.  Everyone mentions that this is a problem
when first installing the server.

Wish I had teh web site...somewhere on www.microsoft.com/sql I believe.

// Dave Corun

> We just "upgraded" from sql6.5 sp5 - to SBS Sql 7 and loaded the ODBC
> drivers and SQL tools that came with it.  I used a report generation app
> - written in Delphi 4- to test it.  It works, generates a 20 page report
> correctly, but is excruciatingly slow.- est. 20 times slower (1 min for
> sql6.5 to 20 minutes for sql7.0)

> I used Profiler and Query analyzer to create a .trc file using one of
> the more time consuming stored procedures,  and used the .trc file in
> the Index tuning wizard.  I accepted the recommended changes and now
> sql7.0 is only 5 times slower than 6.5.  These times are from query
> analyzer - not the delphi app.

> the two servers or identical, dual 400Mhz processor, raid 5.  the only
> diff. is that the 7.0 server has twice the ram. (256Meg). Both machines
> are dedicated to the dbservers.

> Anybody have a magic bullet for this? TIA.

> --
> ---------------------------
> Dan Lewis

> http://www.serve.com/dlewis
> ---------------------------

1. Sql7 slow compared to 6.5 ??

[...]

2. SQL Server & VC++ 4.0

3. 7.0 slow compared with 6.5

4. Building FLIP tables

5. Sql Server 6.5 password SYSLOGINS encrypt/compare

6. ADO!HELP! How using tempory local Table with ADO - SQL-SERVER

7. Comparing two tables in SQL 7.0 or SQL 6.5

8. Question Linking SQL To A Shared Exchange Contact Folder

9. compare two databases in sql 6.5?

10. 7.0 has poor performance compared with 6.5

11. comparing 7.0 to 6.5

12. 7.0 performance compared to 6.5

13. compare mssql 6.5 database and mssql 7.0 database