Help! Case Insensitivity with SELECT..WHERE..LIKE queries

Help! Case Insensitivity with SELECT..WHERE..LIKE queries

Post by Eric B. Ves » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Help, anybody:

I'm trying to run a SELECT...WHERE...LIKE query on product names and
descriptions.  However, I don't know of a way to ensure that the search
is case-insensitive, as the LIKE conditions are dependent on user
input.  I need to make sure that the program returns a positive search
result when a user types in "malaysia" even if "Malaysia" is the actual
entry in the database.

I'd humbly appreciate any assistance.  Thanks.

-- Nathan
Vest Technologies
http://www.vest.com
350 Bay Street
Suite 100-123
San Francisco, CA 94133
415/986-VEST

Help! Case Insensitivity with SELECT..WHERE..LIKE queries

Post by Fuzz » Tue, 02 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Help, anybody:

>I'm trying to run a SELECT...WHERE...LIKE query on product names and
>descriptions.  However, I don't know of a way to ensure that the search
>is case-insensitive, as the LIKE conditions are dependent on user
>input.  I need to make sure that the program returns a positive search
>result when a user types in "malaysia" even if "Malaysia" is the actual
>entry in the database.

>I'd humbly appreciate any assistance.  Thanks.

Rebuild the database using a case-insensitive sort order.

(The drawback of this is it affects every database run by that server)

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)