Version 6.5 lock ups...........

Post by Al Polask » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Wea re using SQLServer 6.5 at the moment, can someone give me any help with
lock ups.  We seem to lock up and none of us can figure out the answer.

Is there a help forum on the net?

Version 6.5 lock ups...........

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Al,

Quote:> Wea re using SQLServer 6.5 at the moment, can someone give me any help with
> lock ups.  We seem to lock up and none of us can figure out the answer.

Q.     SQL Server hangs and becomes unresponsive - what can I do?
(v1.1  1999.12.03)

A. Not an easy one, but here's a checklist.

When it "locks up" can you connect at all to SQL Server?  Try locally on the
server using ISQL.EXE.  This doesn't run any stored-procedures when it connects
so any blocking going on (say in tempdb) won't affect it.

If you can connect what does a select * from sysprocesses and sp_lock show?

If you can't connect to SQL Server are you able to make a network drive
connection to the NT server itself?  Are you able to ping it's IP address?

Are there any errors in the SQL errorlog?

Are there any errors in the NT system/application event logs?

Do you have SMP=-1 and/or priority boost=1 set in sp_configure?  (If you do
then long running queries can monopolize your system)

What does task manager/performance monitor show SQL Server doing?  Is it using
100% cpu?

If you can't get to the bottom of the problem then you need to call MS PSS (see
MSPSS.TXT in the FAQ for more info) and give them details of the problem and
the results of the above tests.

In the mean-time if you need to stop/start SQL Server quickly then use the
following (as normal service shutdown commands probably won't work - try them
first anyway).

You can kill SQL Server with "KILL sqlservr.exe".  The KILL command is in the
NT resource kit.  It can then be started with NET START MSSQLSERVER.  ONLY do
this if SQL Server does not respond to a normal shutdown or NET STOP
MSSQLSERVER command.  This will at least stop you from having to reboot NT.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (386 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. SQL Server 6.5 Back ups

Folks,

I can't make "backup database" function work. I go through all the steps -
make it a complete database backup to a "Backup" folder on the hard drive
with the "overwrite" existing media option on, go to schedule, select all
settings I need, click on the "schedule" box. Once I click on "OK",
everything I set for the back up procedure goes away including the schedule
options.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Konstantin

2. How to change hint str in DBGrid?

3. installing full version of SQL server 6.5 over the trial version

4. HELP! How to get table structure???

5. Difference between version 7 and version 6.5

6. DBF to SQL

7. To administer the version 6.5 with the Enterprise Manager of the version 7

8. ?Compile Queries Before Distribution?

9. Error on Upgrade of version 6.5 to version 7

10. Multiple query lock-ups

11. SQL server lock ups

12. System lock-ups