FTP Task -- Only Works Once

Post by C. Richardso » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:54:55

I have a package with an FTP task.

In the "files" tab, I select the one file I want to FTP.  I then run the
package and the FTP step works great.

Later, I try to run it again to get the NEW version of the SAME file (same
name, different size) and it starts to work (I can see the file temporarily
from Explorer), but file disappears when package completes.  It does not
matter if I specify "overwrite" or not.

If I go BACK into the "files" tab again, and re-select the file that I want
to FTP (first I de-select it and then re-select it), and run the package
again, it works!

It's almost as though the SIZE of the new file must match that of the old
one in order to work.

Anyone here know what is going on here?  Thanks.

FTP Task -- Only Works Once

Post by Darren Gree » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:05:56

Quote:>I have a package with an FTP task.

>In the "files" tab, I select the one file I want to FTP.  I then run the
>package and the FTP step works great.

>Later, I try to run it again to get the NEW version of the SAME file (same
>name, different size) and it starts to work (I can see the file temporarily
>from Explorer), but file disappears when package completes.  It does not
>matter if I specify "overwrite" or not.

>If I go BACK into the "files" tab again, and re-select the file that I want
>to FTP (first I de-select it and then re-select it), and run the package
>again, it works!

>It's almost as though the SIZE of the new file must match that of the old
>one in order to work.

>Anyone here know what is going on here?  Thanks.

Upgrade to SP1, there are several fixes for the FTP Task, including-
FIX: FTP Task in DTS Deletes File from the Destination Folder After the
Package Completes Execution
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q288/3/30.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp1.asp

--
Darren Green
http://www.sqldts.com

1. FTP task in DTS not working

I am trying to create a DTS ftp task to d/l a file from an
off site location. The task can connect to the site and
allows me to select the file for d/l, but gives the
following error message when the task is executed: "One or
more files failed to transfer." or something along those
lines. I can get (d/l) the file using ftp.exe on the same
server without any problems. The problem seems to happen
with any site I choose except for one we created on one of
our other servers for testing purposes.

My network super. says we are not going through a firewall
and, to the extent of my knowledge, that seems to be the
case.

Any suggestions?

Stephan

2. Column level permission !

3. FTP task doesn't work

4. Getting Data from a remote server

5. FTP Task - Using "Passive FTP"

6. NJ-Florham Park-93529--Client/Server-HTML-MS Office-Networking-PC-Visual Basic-W

7. DTS FTP Task: Is it possible to get beyond the root directory of the ftp site

8. Oracle Web Server/Broker

9. getting FTP site response in FTP custom DTS task using Internet Transfer Control - StateChanged event

10. an FTP Task for DTS (SS7): catastrophic failure

11. FTP Task limitations

12. DTS FTP Task downloads then deletes CSV file

13. DTS FTP Task Query