Removing tempdb data device

Post by Lapha » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used by
the Tempdb? I am running SQL Server 6.5 sp3.

Thanks

Laphan

Removing tempdb data device

Post by Dan Guzma » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

1) EXEC sp_configure 'tempdb in ram',2 and RECONFIGURE
2) Shutdown and restart SQL Server
3) Delete tempdb disk device
4) Create new tempdb device and set as default device
5) Remove default from other devices
6) EXEC sp_configure 'tempdb in ram',0 and RECONFIGURE
7) Shutdown and restart SQL Server
8) Expand tempdb to the size desired

Hope this helps.

>Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used
by
>the Tempdb? I am running SQL Server 6.5 sp3.

>Thanks

>Laphan

Removing tempdb data device

Post by socke » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

By default temp_db is on the Master device.

Leave that one alone !

But if you have moved it to it's own device, you can first put temp_db
in memory, then delete the device it 'was' on.  When you put it in
memory, a device will show up called temp_db under manage devices, but
the device isn't using any space - temp_db is in memory remember.

When you take temp_db back out of memory, it will find it's way onto
the first eligible device in the default device pool (first Alphabetic
with enough space).  I usually create the device I want to put temp_db
on, turn default 'off' on all other devices other than that device,
then take it out of memory and go back through and turn default status
back on for the devices I originally had in the pool.

Mike

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:12:43 +0100, "Laphan"