Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

Post by Mário Alexandre Martin » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 22:42:52

Hi,

Someone can tell me if there is a limitation for archiving
database using the msmdarch.exe?

I ask this because a hear somebody tell that there is a
limitation of 2GB archiving database with msmdarch,
because the limitation of files .cab are 2gb.

Is this correct?

Rgds.

Martini
DBA SQL Server
Procergs - RS - Brasil

Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

Post by Jay » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:06:30

this is true, a .cab file doesn't allow to store a file size greater than
2GB. we are looking for the answer as well and hope someone here would have
a better idea. please let us know if you can find something.

Quote:> Hi,

> Someone can tell me if there is a limitation for archiving
> database using the msmdarch.exe?

> I ask this because a hear somebody tell that there is a
> limitation of 2GB archiving database with msmdarch,
> because the limitation of files .cab are 2gb.

> Is this correct?

> Rgds.

> Martini
> DBA SQL Server
> Procergs - RS - Brasil

Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

Post by Adrian Co » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:57:00

FYI

When the database is over 2Gb msmdarch will keep generating additional cab
files until it has archived the whole database (eg data.cab, data.cab2,
data.cab3 etc).

To restore you just select the first cab file in the set.

Hope this helps
Adrian Cox

> this is true, a .cab file doesn't allow to store a file size greater than
> 2GB. we are looking for the answer as well and hope someone here would
have
> a better idea. please let us know if you can find something.

> > Hi,

> > Someone can tell me if there is a limitation for archiving
> > database using the msmdarch.exe?

> > I ask this because a hear somebody tell that there is a
> > limitation of 2GB archiving database with msmdarch,
> > because the limitation of files .cab are 2gb.

> > Is this correct?

> > Rgds.

> > Martini
> > DBA SQL Server
> > Procergs - RS - Brasil

Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

Post by Darren Gosbel » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 12:15:00

The actual limitation is that any one file WITHIN the .cab file may not
exceed 2Gb. I have successfully archived a 6Gb database before, but we
have another 22Gb that will not archive.

Adrian Cox wrote...

--
Regards
Darren Gosbell  MCSD MCP

Senior Consultant
Datum Group  (http://www.datum.com.au)

Archive Database Limitation(2GB) - Very Important

Post by Martin » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 20:46:34

And what the Microsoft say?? Someone know?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The actual limitation is that any one file WITHIN

the .cab file may not
Quote:>exceed 2Gb. I have successfully archived a 6Gb database
before, but we
>have another 22Gb that will not archive.

>Adrian Cox wrote...
>> FYI

>> When the database is over 2Gb msmdarch will keep

generating additional cab
Quote:>> files until it has archived the whole database (eg

data.cab, data.cab2,
>> data.cab3 etc).

>> To restore you just select the first cab file in the
set.

>> Hope this helps
>> Adrian Cox

>> > this is true, a .cab file doesn't allow to store a

file size greater than
Quote:>> > 2GB. we are looking for the answer as well and hope
someone here would
>> have
>> > a better idea. please let us know if you can find
something.

>> > "Mrio Alexandre Martini" <mario-

archiving

is a

>--
>Regards
>Darren Gosbell  MCSD MCP

>Senior Consultant
>Datum Group  (http://www.datum.com.au)
>.

1. Oracle 2GB File limitation on Solaris?

Has anyone else run into trouble importing or exporting large files in
Oracle 7.3.3.3 and Solaris? Particularly Solaris 2.6? Spoke with Oracle
and they gave me a patch that supposedly enables aiowrite64 and aioread64
utilities... Doesn't seem to help. I assume this is an issue with Oracle
but Sun has yet to respond....

The error is: error 79 "operating system error" everytime I try to import
a 4.9 GB file.

Thanks for any help or advice...

2. EXEC statement

3. 2GB Memory Limitation?

4. ??OLE server for animated GIFs?

5. Oracle 2GB File limitation on Solaris?

6. Global Name with out domain

7. Export 2GB file size limitation

8. soundex question

9. Archive tables larger than 2GB, IDS 7.30uc5 on AIX 4.3.2

10. Using ontape to disk when archive is >2GB

11. File Size Limitations For Use of Archive/Restore for OLAP

12. Error while trying to archive database: "Could not lock database for archiving, stopping the archive process"