isql command line programming

Post by Stuart Bowe » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

We are creating a backup solution across UNIX and NT. When UNIXs connects to
the NT server, it will issue a command to initiate SQL backup. When this
finishes the backup it needs to return any value to UNIX to inform it to
start the disk backup.

I am intending to use the DOS command...

... however at the moment, all I get is confirmation of the start of the
job, not at the end.

Is there any way of being notified (other than email, pager, netsend or an
entry in the eventlog)

Stuart

isql command line programming

Post by Ben Johnsto » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Stuart,

The errorlog contains a line stating when a database has been backed up. You
could create a Windows Scripting Host (WSH) / VBScript program to call the
ISQL BAT / CMD file and then parse the errorlog (mssql7\log\errorlog) to
find the correct date and line. The WSH program could then inform the UNIX
system using whatever mechanism you need.

Ben Johnston

> We are creating a backup solution across UNIX and NT. When UNIXs connects
> the NT server, it will issue a command to initiate SQL backup. When this
> finishes the backup it needs to return any value to UNIX to inform it to
> start the disk backup.

> I am intending to use the DOS command...

> ... however at the moment, all I get is confirmation of the start of the
> job, not at the end.

> Is there any way of being notified (other than email, pager, netsend or an
> entry in the eventlog)

> Stuart

isql command line programming

Another option, check msdb..backupset for the records.