Memory Leak with SQL server 6.5??

Post by Charlie Schofiel » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I am experiencing problems with IIS 3.0 and SQL server 6.5.
As they run on an NT server the  system memory is increasing all the time.
Over a period of a few hours the machine's memory usage goes from 59Mb to
290Mb without a particularly heavy load on the server!
On the task manager the time that the cpu is in kernel mode is unusually
high.

I am currently downloading the NT4 service pack to see if a new version of
IIS will help.

Anybody have any immediate ideas for solving this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie Schofield

Memory Leak with SQL server 6.5??

Post by Jim Horsc » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

What is your memory configuration set to (use sp_configure to view current
value)?  My guess is that the value must be somewhere in the neighborhood of
102400 or higher.  If that is the case then you should lower this value.
Look in the BOL for more info.  Also make sure that your server option has
incresease throughput for network applications turned on.  Those are the two
obvious things.  Use perfmon to track memusage on a per process basis an
determine the culprit.

Memory Leak with SQL server 6.5??

Post by Ben McEw » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> Hi, I am experiencing problems with IIS 3.0 and SQL server 6.5.
> As they run on an NT server the  system memory is increasing all the time.
> Over a period of a few hours the machine's memory usage goes from 59Mb to
> 290Mb without a particularly heavy load on the server!
> On the task manager the time that the cpu is in kernel mode is unusually
> high.

> I am currently downloading the NT4 service pack to see if a new version of
> IIS will help.

> Anybody have any immediate ideas for solving this problem?

Check the SQL Server settings "memory" and "set working set size". The
memory setting defines the maximum number of 2k pages you've told the
server it can grab. There's some good guidelines for this setting, but
from the hip I recommend about half the server's memory be allocated to
SQL Server.

If the second setting is set to false (0), which is the default, this
tells SQL Server not to grab all the memory from NT when it starts.
You'll notice memory usage gradually increases as SQL Server finds new
uses for it. It will take up to the memory setting, and won't give any
back. If this setting is set to true (1), all the memory is grabbed when
the server starts.

If you want to reduce the server memory requirements, lower the memory
setting. This will probably affect performance.
--
Ben McEwan, President, Geist, LLC

1. Memory leak in SQL Server 6.5?

I am running a Dell 2200 with one 266 MHz Pentium II, 256 MB RAM,
three 9 GB SCSI drives in a RAID 5 configuration.  This machine has
SQL Server 6.5 and Cheyenne's ARCserve 6.1 for NT running on it
(in addition to the normal services and the RAS).

The machine reboots itself every 7-10 days, claiming that the
virtual memory setting is too low.  VM has been set to 256 MB minimum
and 512 MB maximum since it was bought in August, 1997.

Has anyone come across memory leaks in SQL Server that would
account for the machine's behavior.  Any info would be appreciated.

TIA,
Stephen Bradley

2. Join from more than two tables

3. Memory leak in SQL Server 6.5

4. SQL Question?

5. Huge memory leak in SQL Server 6.5???

6. Transfer Manager (or.... why it sucks)

7. UK query - Delphi3 - NT4-Memory leak on SQL Query to SQL/server 6.5

8. SQL Server 6.5 memory leak problem

9. SQL Server 6.5 Memory leak

10. SQL 6.5 - Server virtual memory leak - any ideas?

11. sql 6.5 memory leak?