replicate over 500 tables

Post by Anna Li » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:10:07

Hi all,

We set up a replication to have transactional replication
on 585 tables. We have an excellent server - an IBM
Nefinity x440 with 4 CPUs and 8GB of memory.

Are there any concerns with replicating so many tables?
How much impact will it have if we use the x440 server as
the production server as well as the distributor?

Thanks, Anna

replicate over 500 tables

Post by Raj Gil » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:46:49

irrespective of the hardware resource on your production server, for these
many tables you definitely want to have a separate distribution server.
There is a lot of history info to be managed. Also for every combination of
publication\subscriber there will be a distribution agent (for transactional
replication). These agents will take up resources and they run on
distribution server. Also you might want to consider using pull subscription
if you can. In that case the distribution agent will physically run on the
subscriber so that subscriber resources will be used.

The only way to know if a particular hardware is enough for you topology is
to do a test.

rgill

Quote:> Hi all,

> We set up a replication to have transactional replication
> on 585 tables. We have an excellent server - an IBM
> Nefinity x440 with 4 CPUs and 8GB of memory.

> Are there any concerns with replicating so many tables?
> How much impact will it have if we use the x440 server as
> the production server as well as the distributor?

> Thanks, Anna

replicate over 500 tables

Post by Gopal Ashok [M » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:38:52

Transactional replication performance mainly depends on the amount of data
and volume of transactions. Please take a look at the performance
whitepaper mentioned in Q323046

Thanks
Gopal Ashok
Microsoft

Disclaimer:

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

1. DBMS Selection for 500+GB data and 500+ Users

We are in the process of selecting a database for our data warehouse.  It is
expected to start at 50GB of data with 50+ users and grow over the next 2
years to be 500+GB of data and 500+ users. Much of the data will be obtained
from our IBM mainframe  ADABAS operational databases on a daily basis.   We
are looking at Sybase, Informix and Oracle.  Does anyone have experiences
(good or bad) that might help with our decision.  In particular, how do
these products scale throught this type of growth.  Thanks

2. CAN BC Oracle Consultant (Contract)

3. Some tables are replicated and some of then are Not replicated

4. ORACLE DBA Consultants based in Denver, CO

5. NEED TO UPDATE APROXIMATELY 500 TABLES...

6. Inserting a ' character

7. Paradox or Access ??? For a mailorder business.

8. Add Table to Published Table being Replicated

9. Change Table Defs on Replicated Table Error

10. FIX: Dynamic Filtered Tables Do Not Replicate Data From Joined Tables to SQL Server CE Subscribers

11. How to execute a Create table or alter table table everytime before a data load