Query Timeout

Post by Adna » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:54:53

Hi,
  I am kind of new at SQL Server, and having major timeout
issues. Our client application is running queries and the
query times out after 30 seconds. This is happening quite
consistently now. I do not know how to fix this issue. I
went into the SQL Server properties and made the query
timeout = 0(unlimited), but it is still having these
problems. Does anyone know how to fix these issues or try
increasing some other timeouts??
Thank you for all your help,
Adnan.

Query Timeout

Post by Curt » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:41:21

There are a number of areas where timeouts can get you.
Here are a few possibilites that I see around here:

1.  A lot of times developer's forget to set the command
timeout properites in their application.  They remember
the connection timeout but not the command if they're
using it.
2.  If you are doing heavy cross-server queries, remote
timeouts can cause you problems.  See sp_configure in
Books Online.
3.  Sometimes lock timeouts can hold problems.  To change
these you simply place, 'SET HOLDLOCK TIMEOUT' or
something like that.

Good luck...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,
>  I am kind of new at SQL Server, and having major
timeout
>issues. Our client application is running queries and the
>query times out after 30 seconds. This is happening quite
>consistently now. I do not know how to fix this issue. I
>went into the SQL Server properties and made the query
>timeout = 0(unlimited), but it is still having these
>problems. Does anyone know how to fix these issues or try
>increasing some other timeouts??
>Thank you for all your help,
>Adnan.
>.

Query Timeout

Post by Curt » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:44:24

Sorry - the statement for #3 is not HOLDLOCK (which is a
query hint) but rather:

SET LOCK_TIMEOUT 1800

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,
>  I am kind of new at SQL Server, and having major
timeout
>issues. Our client application is running queries and the
>query times out after 30 seconds. This is happening quite
>consistently now. I do not know how to fix this issue. I
>went into the SQL Server properties and made the query
>timeout = 0(unlimited), but it is still having these
>problems. Does anyone know how to fix these issues or try
>increasing some other timeouts??
>Thank you for all your help,
>Adnan.
>.

1. timeout, despite 'Query Timeout = 0'

When using the Visual Database Tools (4-in-one window) to connect to query a
*large* table, that won't fit in RAM, I get a timeout error, despite all
setting, that I can discover, indicating that the 'Query Timeout = 0'.  I
understand that setting it to 0 (zero) should indicate NO timeout.

I get this Visual Database Tools timeout whether using the SQL Server7 'View
...' or 'View Top' x version in 'Enterprise Manager' or from VB6 'Data
Environment Designer' Connection Command.

In contrast, this same query works fine when using Access to link to the
table.  The query also works using the Enterprise Manager 'Query Analizer'
(the old ISQL).

Does this ring a bell? ... any workarounds ? ... or is this a 'bug' ?

thanks,

Michael Coughlin

401-348-9491
www.data-based-systems.com

2. Corrupt Cube

3. Query Timeouts & max concurrent queries

4. Copying Access tables in VB4.0

5. Query Timeout + Query MaxRecords

6. View definition problem

7. How can I set the query timeout in Access .adp

8. Linux open client?

9. Query Timeout in SQL 2000

10. Need Help - SQL 7.0 Query Timeout

11. ODBC Query timeout expired problem!!

12. query timeout problem with VB3.0