Why doesn't SQL Server start?

Post by Bret » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 06:10:49

I'm running SQL Server 2000 on Win2k Pro SP3.  The system crashed when I was
away (it does this periodically) and rebooted on its own.  SQL Server
service has not started since. I have done a normal reboot but that doesn't
help.  The message I get back is that SQL Server could not start and no
error was returned.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Brett

Why doesn't SQL Server start?

Post by Adi Coh » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:25:28

  Check the event logs.  Most chances that you'll see more details about it.
You should see more details that will give you the direction on what went
wrong

Adi

Quote:> I'm running SQL Server 2000 on Win2k Pro SP3.  The system crashed when I
was
> away (it does this periodically) and rebooted on its own.  SQL Server
> service has not started since. I have done a normal reboot but that
doesn't
> help.  The message I get back is that SQL Server could not start and no
> error was returned.

> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Brett

Why doesn't SQL Server start?

Post by Bret » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:23:06

It says:
SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

I did have an eval on here but then installed a regular version.  Not sure
what is happening.

Brett

>   Check the event logs.  Most chances that you'll see more details about
it.
> You should see more details that will give you the direction on what went
> wrong

> Adi

> > I'm running SQL Server 2000 on Win2k Pro SP3.  The system crashed when I
> was
> > away (it does this periodically) and rebooted on its own.  SQL Server
> > service has not started since. I have done a normal reboot but that
> doesn't
> > help.  The message I get back is that SQL Server could not start and no
> > error was returned.

> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Brett

Why doesn't SQL Server start?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 13:33:19

Seems like that installation didn't succeed or that you by mistake perhaps installed a named
instance.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> It says:
> SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

> I did have an eval on here but then installed a regular version.  Not sure
> what is happening.

> Brett

> >   Check the event logs.  Most chances that you'll see more details about
> it.
> > You should see more details that will give you the direction on what went
> > wrong

> > Adi

> > > I'm running SQL Server 2000 on Win2k Pro SP3.  The system crashed when I
> > was
> > > away (it does this periodically) and rebooted on its own.  SQL Server
> > > service has not started since. I have done a normal reboot but that
> > doesn't
> > > help.  The message I get back is that SQL Server could not start and no
> > > error was returned.

> > > Any suggestions?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brett

Why doesn't SQL Server start?

Post by Bret » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:57:24

Which versions of SQL Server will run on Win2k Pro?

I need a server and the client tools.

Thanks,
Brett

Quote:> Seems like that installation didn't succeed or that you by mistake perhaps
installed a named

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > It says:
> > SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

> > I did have an eval on here but then installed a regular version.  Not
sure
> > what is happening.

> > Brett

> > >   Check the event logs.  Most chances that you'll see more details
about
> > it.
> > > You should see more details that will give you the direction on what
went
> > > wrong

> > > Adi

> > > was
Server
> > > doesn't

Why doesn't SQL Server start?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:10:29

Developer Edition, Personal Edition, enterprise Evalation Edition (I think) and MSDE.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Which versions of SQL Server will run on Win2k Pro?

> I need a server and the client tools.

> Thanks,
> Brett

> > Seems like that installation didn't succeed or that you by mistake perhaps
> installed a named
> > instance.

> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > Archive at:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > > It says:
> > > SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

> > > I did have an eval on here but then installed a regular version.  Not
> sure
> > > what is happening.

> > > Brett

> about
> > > it.
> went

> when I
> Server
> no

1. RAM device doesn't exist - SQL Server won't start

In an effort to move my tempdb database to a
separate device, I first tried to configure SQL
Server to put the entire tempdb into RAM  (2044k)

I made the configuration change, and then tried to
restart MSQLServer, only to find out that now it
won't start at all.  I get an error saying "An
Internal NT error has occurred."  -  when trying
to start the service.

In the event viewer, I see 2 new SQL errors:

Event ID: 17055
Type: Error
Category: Server
Mesg 18118 : crdb_tempdb: Unable to move tempdb
into RAM; RAM device doesn't exist, cannot be
created, or doesn't have enough space for tempdb

Event ID: 17055
Type: Error
Category:  Kernal
Mesg 17053 : udactivate(IN_RAM): Operating system
error 8(Not enough storage is available to process
this command.) encountered

How do I fix this?  I need to either create a RAM
device, or reconfigure SQL Server to use the disk
for the tempdb....  but since I can't start it, I
seem to be at a loss.  I looked in the registry
for this configuration setting, and did not see
anything that looked like what I need.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated....

--

Brandon Kelly

2. Changing passwords.

3. I had renamed the hostname, sql server doesn't start, can you please help

4. Database in other computer

5. Dictionary to function

6. OLE Stored Proc Error!!

7. SQL Server 7 doesn't even start

8. SQL Server Agent 7.0 doesn't start after installing Win2k SP2

9. SQL Server Agent service doesn't start after a reboot

10. SQL Server Service manager doesn't start after changing password