Default tran log location

Post by T » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 04:52:52

SS2000

Is there a way that I can specify a different default drive location
for the tran log?  I would like the user to not have to specify the
tran log when he creates a database.  I want the tran log to be on a
different physical file.

Post by Dinesh T » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:21:41

Hi,

right click on the sqlserver | properties|and check the database settings
tab.

Dinesh.

Quote:> SS2000

> Is there a way that I can specify a different default drive location
> for the tran log?  I would like the user to not have to specify the
> tran log when he creates a database.  I want the tran log to be on a
> different physical file.

Post by Dinesh T » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 07:03:28

Tom,

Thats a server side one time setting.Once the default path is set, all those
databases created after that will follow the new path for transaction log.

Dinesh.

Quote:

> Hello to you too ;-)

> Yeah I know...but if there is a way to avoid that step, similar to how one

would do something in model that would propagate to all new databases.
Pre-set the tran location, so to speak.
Quote:

> tg

Post by Tom Guillor » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 07:20:57

Great.  I didn't read your first reply carefully enough.

thanks

1. Moving Tran Log File location (SQL 7.0)

I'm hoping there is a way to do this.  I've been given the task of moving
the physical location of the tran log file for several of our databases.
Currently, the log file is on the F: drive, I need to move it to the E:
drive.  When I go into the database properties and try to move the files on
our test database, I'm told that they can't be moved after the initial
setup.

Does anyone know of a way to move the log files from one partition to
another?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Robert

2. Object search in isqlw

3. Log Shipping: conflicting schedules with daily tran logs backpu jobs

4. OS block size vs. DB block size

5. Non-logged operations - no tran log backup

6. @bitmap on replication

7. Help: simultaneous calls of a SP containing BEGIN TRAN....COMMIT TRAN

8. SQL Anywhere - Sybase

9. Begin Tran-Commit Tran

10. BEGIN TRAN and COMMIT TRAN from a three tier system

11. begin tran / commit tran

12. begin tran and commit tran

13. Begin, Commit tran - tran count not matched