Sql Server 2000 Licensing

Post by Paul Thornet » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:57:22

I have read that Sql Server 2000 is licensed on a per CPU basis. We
have a small workgroup of 5 dual-CPU Windows 2000 Professional
computers, each of which uses Sql Server 7 Desktop. There is no server
machine, so no-one has Sql Server 7 Standard installed.

What does my upgrade path look like?
--
Paul Thornett

Sql Server 2000 Licensing

Post by Richard Waymir » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

You can license it either per cpu or per client, either way.  You can read
about pricing and licensing at http://www.microsoft.com/sql.

As far as desktop goes, the only way you could get the legal right to
install 7.0 desktop was by having a CAL to a server edition of SQL Server.
So, if you have no server around your current installation isn't legal and
there'll be no legit upgrade path :-)

If you had a single server edition with 5 CALs and then deployed desktop
edition you could simply upgrade the server license to 2000 and then upgrade
the desktops.

--
Richard Waymire, MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD

Quote:> I have read that Sql Server 2000 is licensed on a per CPU basis. We
> have a small workgroup of 5 dual-CPU Windows 2000 Professional
> computers, each of which uses Sql Server 7 Desktop. There is no server
> machine, so no-one has Sql Server 7 Standard installed.

> What does my upgrade path look like?
> --
> Paul Thornett

Sql Server 2000 Licensing

Post by Paul Thornet » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> You can license it either per cpu or per client, either way.  You
can read
> about pricing and licensing at http://www.microsoft.com/sql.

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the details. Our current setup
is a single server edition with 5 CALs (fully legal <g>), for which we
paid around $US 1300. Each of the 5 workstations has the desktop
version installed. For Sql 2000, the implication seems to be that you
now pay per CPU. That suggests we must pay 5x2 rather than 5x1
(unless, of course, the price per CPU is half of a CAL)?

If we can "license it per cpu or per client, either way", then why all
the fuss about CPUs?

Sql Server 2000 Licensing

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 Paul,

 > I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the details. Our current setup

Quote:> is a single server edition with 5 CALs (fully legal <g>), for which we
> paid around $US 1300. Each of the 5 workstations has the desktop
> version installed. For Sql 2000, the implication seems to be that you
> now pay per CPU. That suggests we must pay 5x2 rather than 5x1
> (unless, of course, the price per CPU is half of a CAL)?

 The way I read it is that you'd still just have 5 x 1 per-seat CAL's

Quote:> If we can "license it per cpu or per client, either way", then why all
> the fuss about CPUs?

 For those people who can't license per seat - i.e. internet applications.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Sql Server 2000 Licensing

Post by Richard Waymir » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Exactly.  Per processor replaces per server.  Per seat licensing is still
existing and you'd simply buy sql 2000 per seat licenses here.

--
Richard Waymire, MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD

Quote:> Paul,

>  > I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the details. Our current setup
> > is a single server edition with 5 CALs (fully legal <g>), for which we
> > paid around $US 1300. Each of the 5 workstations has the desktop
> > version installed. For Sql 2000, the implication seems to be that you
> > now pay per CPU. That suggests we must pay 5x2 rather than 5x1
> > (unless, of course, the price per CPU is half of a CAL)?

>  The way I read it is that you'd still just have 5 x 1 per-seat CAL's

> > If we can "license it per cpu or per client, either way", then why all
> > the fuss about CPUs?

>  For those people who can't license per seat - i.e. internet applications.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  Reply here - no email
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
>  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
>  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Sql Server 2000 Licensing

Post by Paul Thornet » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Exactly.  Per processor replaces per server.  Per seat licensing is
still
> existing and you'd simply buy sql 2000 per seat licenses here.

Thanks - it's now perfectly clear.

1. SQL Server 2000 license overriding SQL Server 7.0 license on separate server

We have the following situation.

Server A is a W2K server (not domain controller) with SQL Server 7.0
installed. This SQL server has an Internet connector license.

Server B is a W2K domain controller with SQL Server 2000 Standard
Edition installed.

Server B has a web app that accesses SQL server on Server A. This web
app does not use the database on Server B.

Web clients accessing Server B have their SQL accesses rejected with the
message "Logon failed. The number of users on this 'Standard Edition'
exceeds the maximum of 10 allowed by the license."

Why does the license on B trump the license on A? How do I fix it?

Q153140 appears to be irrelevant. License Manager doesn't show anything
for the SQL Server 2000 installation.

2. Way to Reset @@rowcount

3. Changing SQL Server 2000 Licensing

4. SQL server 2000 questions

5. SQL Server 2000 license

6. Populating fields

7. SQL Server 2000 License Setup disappears from Control Panel

8. Multi Table (more than two) form

9. SQL Server 2000 Licensing

10. SQL Server 2000 License Help!!!

11. SQL Server 2000...Licensing...Confused

12. SQL Server 2000 licensing question