Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Post by Zhongming Mo » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

As the subject implies, I'm looking for a * book for SPs, preferable
more generic, not only for MS SQL. Thanks.

Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Post by Mitche » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Not sure about SPs only but a book that featured a lot of * SQL
would be

Gurus Guide to Transact SQL (More SQL 7 baed but what's wrong with
that)

and

SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming

Quote:>As the subject implies, I'm looking for a * book for SPs, preferable
>more generic, not only for MS SQL. Thanks.

Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Post by BPMargoli » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Zhongming,

One of the best sources for "how-to" code a stored procedure, is the system
stored procedures supplied by Microsoft. All the system stored procedures are in
the master database, and are exposed for examination.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc) which can be
cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

Quote:> As the subject implies, I'm looking for a * book for SPs, preferable
> more generic, not only for MS SQL. Thanks.

Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Post by Joe Celk » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> I'm looking for a * book for SPs, preferable more generic,

not only for MS SQL. <<

I immediately recommend my own books, of course <g>, but they are not
really about Stored Procedures per se.  I almost never have to write
procedural code.

The trouble is that every vendor has a slightly different procedural
language -- Sybase's T-SQL,  Informix's 4GL, Oracle's PL/SQL etc.  The
best book on the subject is Jim Melton's book on the SQL/PSM; this is
the ANSI/ISO standard procedural lanaguage.  He covers the other
proprietary procedural languages as well as the SQL/PSM, so it is a
guide, but not a programmer's book of tricks.

--CELKO--
Joe Celko, SQL and Database Consultant

Before you buy.

Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Post by David Ventur » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

The best generic sql book is SQL for Smarties by Joe Celko.  The best sql
book specific to MS SQL is The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL by Ken
Henderson.  If you are developing for SQL Server, you should get both.

Can anybody recommend a book for stored procedures?

Post by carlos_or.. » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I recommend Ken Henderson's excellent book The Guru's Guide to Transact-
SQL.  It is the most comprehensive t-sql book I have seen.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.