how are others encrypting passwords in sql7 tables

how are others encrypting passwords in sql7 tables

Post by <Joe> » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I assume others have been tasked with encrypting passwords in a table.  It
appears that sql 7 doesn't allow you to do it when the data is written to
the table.  Is that correct?
If so, how are others doing it?

Joe

how are others encrypting passwords in sql7 tables

Post by Spencer Tabber » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Write your own encryption algorithm for your app that you call before you
insert/update the column and call it after you retrive the column.

spencer tabbert

> I assume others have been tasked with encrypting passwords in a table.  It
> appears that sql 7 doesn't allow you to do it when the data is written to
> the table.  Is that correct?
> If so, how are others doing it?

> Joe

how are others encrypting passwords in sql7 tables

Post by Brandon Lill » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

We encrypt all of our passwords before passing them to SQL server.  I am not
aware of any way to have SQL server do this unless you had a trigger to run
an external DLL when the password field is updated.  Never tried that,
however.

Brandon Lilly
--
Remove "no_spam" from address to email directly