using roles and winnt groups

Post by chri » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:08:11

I need to implemnt a new security plan for my sql 2000 box. I have a small
group of developers that need to be able to create procedures and tables,
read, write their own work and also other developers. I don't however want
them to be able to wipe out databases or drop others hard work. I was
thinking of  using db_ddladmin, db_reader and db_writer but then they cant
see each others procs. Same thing with adding create permissions. It works
but others can't see it.
Is there such a role that will accomplish all these things?
Thanks in advance

using roles and winnt groups

Post by Bob Pfeif » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:39:14

Sounds like you may want to create your own role to customize the
developers' access to the database they're working on.  Also sounds like
objects are being created using individual owner's names which will
interfere with other developers' ability to work with objects.  I recommend
changing the practice to create objects by qualifying the object owner like
CREATE PROC dbo.p_someproc to avoid issues with object ownership during
development and in the future.

1. WinNT Domain Authentication/Roles

Can someone point me in the direction of how to do this?  I want to let
users attach to the Oracle instance that I have set up for a particular
web-based application on our intranet.  When they browse to the
application, I assume that they will have to enter their username and
PW since the browser probably makes OS info unavailable to the
application.  I don't want to have to create Oracle users for all of
our users, I was hoping that Oracle could use check their entered
userid/pw and authenticate it against our WinNT domain.  How do I do
this?

Also... for this application, I have defined roles for various levels
of capabilities within the applicaion.  How do I grant the NT users the
roles they require?

Thanks

--
Martin Schmid
Applications Developer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Date

3. SQL Server and WinNT Groups (intergratet Security)

4. calling Oracle APIs from SQL SERVER

5. Grant permission to a WinNT Group

6. MS Access Transactions

7. n Of Each Group using GROUP BY

8. Group by using datetime field - want to only group by date

9. Help with creating database roles and NT Groups

10. application roles and NT groups

11. Adding groups to OLAP database role with dso

12. Help - removing NT Admin Group from sa role