Storing of group permissions to database objects

Storing of group permissions to database objects

Post by P Wallac » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:03:52

I'm curious as to where permissions granted to database
users/groups to database objects such as tables, views,
SP, etc are physically stored.  Does the master database
hold this informtation for all other databases defined on
a given instance of SQL server?  (Or alternatively does
each database independently keep track of it's own
users/group permissions and if so where?)

TIA

Storing of group permissions to database objects

Post by Jasper Smit » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:28:50

Have a look at sysprotects and sy*issions that are in every database.
Also syslogins in the master database has information on server roles.
You can get a nice HTML style system tables map from
http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
HTH

Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> I'm curious as to where permissions granted to database
> users/groups to database objects such as tables, views,
> SP, etc are physically stored.  Does the master database
> hold this informtation for all other databases defined on
> a given instance of SQL server?  (Or alternatively does
> each database independently keep track of it's own
> users/group permissions and if so where?)

> TIA

Storing of group permissions to database objects

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:31:45

Each database. This info used to be in sysprotects, but I think that it now has migrated to
sy*issions (although sysprotects exists as a virtual table).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> I'm curious as to where permissions granted to database
> users/groups to database objects such as tables, views,
> SP, etc are physically stored.  Does the master database
> hold this informtation for all other databases defined on
> a given instance of SQL server?  (Or alternatively does
> each database independently keep track of it's own
> users/group permissions and if so where?)

> TIA

Storing of group permissions to database objects

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:30:09

Each database has a sysprotects table that stores this
information. You can find more on the table in books online.

-Sue

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:03:52 -0800, "P Wallace"

>I'm curious as to where permissions granted to database
>users/groups to database objects such as tables, views,
>SP, etc are physically stored.  Does the master database
>hold this informtation for all other databases defined on
>a given instance of SQL server?  (Or alternatively does
>each database independently keep track of it's own
>users/group permissions and if so where?)

>TIA

Storing of group permissions to database objects

Post by Biva » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:19:24

Each databases has a sy*issions table where this info is kept.  If you
would like to find out permissions on database objects for users or roles in
that database, run sp_helprotect stored procedure in SQL Server 2000.

HTH,
Biva