Maximum number of databases exceeded

Post by Richard Watso » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

Could someone give me an idea of how to address the following problem:

SQL 6.5

Customer was testing their backup procedure by backing up their "real"
database and restoring
it to another database.

Note: Train is the destination database and Taxcalc table is a table in
another application (Solomon  I think).

The message reads:

An error occurred on a query to table Train..TaxCalc.
SQL Server returned the following error message.

Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded.  The
maximum allowed is 8.

Thanks for your input.

--
Richard

Maximum number of databases exceeded

Post by Gert Draper » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

exec sp_configure 'open databases', 10

and restart your SQL Server will do the trick.

-GertD

No live without an edge.

Maximum number of databases exceeded

Post by Richard Watso » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your assistance.

> exec sp_configure 'open databases', 10

> and restart your SQL Server will do the trick.

> -GertD

> No live without an edge.

Maximum number of databases exceeded

Post by Christian Donne » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Could someone give me an idea of how to address the following problem:

> SQL 6.5

> Customer was testing their backup procedure by backing up their "real"
> database and restoring
> it to another database.

> Note: Train is the destination database and Taxcalc table is a table
in
> another application (Solomon  I think).

> The message reads:

> An error occurred on a query to table Train..TaxCalc.
> SQL Server returned the following error message.

> Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded.
The
> maximum allowed is 8.

> Thanks for your input.

> --
> Richard

Richard,
The message is self-explanatory. There is limit of 8 databases
referenced in a query in SQL Server 6.5. Any reference counts as a
database, even if refers to the same database.
This means that a query that works without database qualifiers and just
uses the current database can use up to 15 tables in a join. If you add
database qualifiers to the query and run it from another database, the
maximum number of tables (now in a different database) is 8. I guess
that customer ran a query referencing another (the restored?) database
that did not account for this limitation.

Christian

--
Well, I'm sure we can resolve this in a mature
way.  Right, Mr. Poopypants?

Maximum number of databases exceeded

Post by Christian Donne » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Could someone give me an idea of how to address the following problem:

> SQL 6.5

> Customer was testing their backup procedure by backing up their "real"
> database and restoring
> it to another database.

> Note: Train is the destination database and Taxcalc table is a table
in
> another application (Solomon  I think).

> The message reads:

> An error occurred on a query to table Train..TaxCalc.
> SQL Server returned the following error message.

> Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded.
The
> maximum allowed is 8.

> Thanks for your input.

> --
> Richard

Richard,
The message is self-explanatory. There is limit of 8 databases
referenced in a query in SQL Server 6.5. Any reference counts as a
database, even if refers to the same database.
This means that a query that works without database qualifiers and just
uses the current database can use up to 15 tables in a join. If you add
database qualifiers to the query and run it from another database, the
maximum number of tables (now in a different database) is 8. I guess
that customer ran a query referencing another (the restored?) database
that did not account for this limitation.

Christian

--
Well, I'm sure we can resolve this in a mature
way.  Right, Mr. Poopypants?
-- Leslie Nielsen

Maximum number of databases exceeded

Post by Christian Donne » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

After reading the other messages, I would like to add that what I said
is only valid for the default configuration ... :-)

1. Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Help....We have two databases that contain nearly identical information for
two different clients. We are in the process of consolidating these two
separate databases into a single db. One db has a stored proc that returns
records for crystal report. We recompile the stored proc in the other db and
when we run it, it returns the following.

Msg 610, Level 19, State 1
Maximum number of databases that may be accessed by a transaction is 8. This
number has been exceeded by this query.
The SQL Server is terminating this process.

My problem is, that the proc doesn't access multiple databases in either
database. The number of records in the new database is significantly higher
than the original db, but the table structure is identical. It appears that
all the other stored procs that were unique to the first database run fine
in the second, except this one.

Any ideas?

2. Client Server Developer Sr (FSIN22),WILMINGTON,DE

3. Error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded

4. alignment problem for osql utility

5. The maximum number of pending SQLServerAgent notifications has been exceeded

6. SP5a Setup

7. Maximum number of tables in a query (16) exceeded

8. Pass String to sp IN Clause

9. Oracle/JDBC: maximum number of open cursors exceeded

10. 4GL err -257: System limit on maximum number of statements exceeded

11. ORA-01590: number of segment free list (24) exceeds maximum of 22

12. **exceeds the maximum number of bytes per row

13. HELP : ORA-00020: maximum number of processes exceeded