Error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded

Error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded

Post by Esperanza Nava » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a problem.
My DBServer had serious problems yesterday.
The WNT Event Log in the DBServer shows the next message:
'error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been
exceeded. The maximum allowed is 8'

I don't understand. All my querys work with tables in a single DB.
There are only defined this DB in this DBServer (and the Master, the Tempdb
and the Msdb). Then what's the problem?

It is a SQLServer 6.5 database.

Please, somebody can help me?

Thank you

        Esperanza Naval

Error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded

Post by Judy Irwi » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

We've seen this several times, seems like a symptom of some other
undetermined problem.  We've also seen an error message that says "max
#database users exceeded" when that clearly was not the problem.

Rebooting seemed to clear it up.

Haven't gotten any of these since we LOWERed memory allocated to SQL.
SQL max ram is 1.5GB (we have a 2GB system).  From this we subtract 1MB
per worker thread.  Since changing the memory setting to 640000 we've
never seen any more of these bogus errors; also reduced #of stack dumps.

Error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been exceeded

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The WNT Event Log in the DBServer shows the next message:
> 'error 925 Maximum number of used databases for each query has been
> exceeded. The maximum allowed is 8'

Esperanza,

Q.  Why do I get an error "#610 - Maximum number of databases that may be accessed by
a transaction is <x>.  This number has been exceeded by this query." when running a
SQL Server query?
(v1.1   1999.07.22)

A.  There is also a very similar error 925.

Assuming the query doesn't really access more than <x> databases then this is a SQL
bug caused by a complex query that has confused the SQL parser/optimiser.

It could also be that you're using more than 16 temporary tables - this message isn't
very meaningful in this case.  Do a showplan and see whether this might be the case.

Look for any known reasons for this bug at http://support.microsoft.com - just search
on 610/925 and SQL and kbbug.  If your problem does not match any of these and you
have already applied the latest service pack then either post a reproduction script
for an MVP to report for you or call the problem in to MS PSS yourself.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (386 entries) see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk