Process Will not DIE

Post by Geoff Van Haere » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 04:04:25

We indavertantly closed enterprise manager while it was running a query and
now we can't get rid of that process. It continues to show rolling back.
This was an issue in 6.5 and 7.0 when you closed query analyzer in the
middle of a query. Besides stopping the service is there anything we can do
to stop/kill this process? Kill obviously doesn't work.

Geoff

Process Will not DIE

Post by Ron Talmag » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:22:20

Geoff,

With large rollbacks, if you don't want to stop SQL Server, you have to wait
for them to finish. When you stop the service, you can delete the
transaction log, SQL Server will declare the database suspect, you can
delete it and then restore from a backup.

But otherwise, SQL Server will not work with databases that have
inconsistent data, and until the rollback is finished, the database is in an
inconsistent state.

HTH,
Ron
--
Ron Talmage
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> We indavertantly closed enterprise manager while it was running a query
and
> now we can't get rid of that process. It continues to show rolling back.
> This was an issue in 6.5 and 7.0 when you closed query analyzer in the
> middle of a query. Besides stopping the service is there anything we can
do
> to stop/kill this process? Kill obviously doesn't work.

> Geoff

Process Will not DIE

Post by Geoff Van Haere » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:32:38

This is not a large rollback, though. This is killing the query analyzer or
enterprise manager application in the middle of a long select or something.

> Geoff,

> With large rollbacks, if you don't want to stop SQL Server, you have to
wait
> for them to finish. When you stop the service, you can delete the
> transaction log, SQL Server will declare the database suspect, you can
> delete it and then restore from a backup.

> But otherwise, SQL Server will not work with databases that have
> inconsistent data, and until the rollback is finished, the database is in
an
> inconsistent state.

> HTH,
> Ron
> --
> Ron Talmage
> SQL Server MVP

> > We indavertantly closed enterprise manager while it was running a query
> and
> > now we can't get rid of that process. It continues to show rolling back.
> > This was an issue in 6.5 and 7.0 when you closed query analyzer in the
> > middle of a query. Besides stopping the service is there anything we can
> do
> > to stop/kill this process? Kill obviously doesn't work.

> > Geoff

Process Will not DIE

Post by Mike » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 06:56:49

If you are unable to get the process to respond to the KILL command, the only alternative is to stop and restart the sqlserver service.  I'm unaware of Microsoft planning to ever resolve this type of issue.  The only resolution would be to have a "forced" kill, but such a command would open up opportunities for database corruption.

> This is not a large rollback, though. This is killing the query analyzer or
> enterprise manager application in the middle of a long select or something.

> > Geoff,

> > With large rollbacks, if you don't want to stop SQL Server, you have to
> wait
> > for them to finish. When you stop the service, you can delete the
> > transaction log, SQL Server will declare the database suspect, you can
> > delete it and then restore from a backup.

> > But otherwise, SQL Server will not work with databases that have
> > inconsistent data, and until the rollback is finished, the database is in
> an
> > inconsistent state.

> > HTH,
> > Ron
> > --
> > Ron Talmage
> > SQL Server MVP

> > > We indavertantly closed enterprise manager while it was running a query
> > and
> > > now we can't get rid of that process. It continues to show rolling back.
> > > This was an issue in 6.5 and 7.0 when you closed query analyzer in the
> > > middle of a query. Besides stopping the service is there anything we can
> > do
> > > to stop/kill this process? Kill obviously doesn't work.

> > > Geoff

1. Process WILL NOT DIE!

I don't know exactly what happened, but I'm building an application in
ACC97 with a SQL 6.5 back end.  In the middle of a transacted procedure an
error occured and the transaction was never rolled back.  I can't say for
sure that this is where the problem started, but I suspect that it might
be.

I have a bunch of INSERT processes running on my master database and a
bunch of object locks on my system tables.  (eg tempdb.dbo.sysobjects,
tempdb.dbo.sysindexes, tempdb.dbo.syscolumns, tempdb.dbo.#info,
master.dbo.spt_values).  Also Extent Lock - Exclusive for 3 identical items
that say
sa.master.dbo/INSERT/ServerName (MS SQLEW)   (when I click detail it says
dbcc inputbuffer(13)).

I tried to Kill it with the GUI interface, I tried the Kill command in
T-SQL, I bounced the SQL Server, the NT Server, and every machine connected
to my SQL Server.  These processes will not die and it is preventing me
from running the code where the problem started.

Any ideas, this is very frustrating.

Thanks

2. Path for mdb non valid / and error '91'

3. KILLed Sybase process will not die?

4. test!

5. Process will not die

6. >

7. Processes Not Dying

8. disk problem with Paradox 7 for Win 3.1

9. fglgo process does not die (again)

10. Killed process not dying

11. processes not dying show killed forever

12. fglgo process does not die