Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by Tom Kelle » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I am interested in finding more information about the SQL Server 2000 Audit
Trail features.  I searched the Microsoft web site, MSDN, the online
concierge, the support webcast transcript, the SQL Server newsgroups, and
Microsoft Sales, but no one could provide any information.

From the transcript at
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc082900/WCT082900...,
this was stated:

Reinaldo: SQL Server 7.0 does not have an audit trail, but SQL Server 2000
does and you can turn on C2 security. C2 security is available on SQL Server
2000, but not on SQL Server 7.0. You cannot turn on audit trail on SQL
Server 7.0.

Does anyone know more detail about this feature or type of auditing?

Thank you,
Tom

Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by Shawn Clar » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Tom,

Well just got around to installing the final release of SQL 2000 today and
while looking in the Server Properties window I did notice the option to
audit logins. You could select between success/failure/all. I haven't worked
with it yet but I know it is there.

--
Shawn Clark
Senior Software Consultant

Quote:

> I am interested in finding more information about the SQL Server 2000
Audit
> Trail features.  I searched the Microsoft web site, MSDN, the online
> concierge, the support webcast transcript, the SQL Server newsgroups, and
> Microsoft Sales, but no one could provide any information.

> From the transcript at
> http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc082900/WCT082900...,
> this was stated:

> Reinaldo: SQL Server 7.0 does not have an audit trail, but SQL Server 2000
> does and you can turn on C2 security. C2 security is available on SQL
Server
> 2000, but not on SQL Server 7.0. You cannot turn on audit trail on SQL
> Server 7.0.

> Does anyone know more detail about this feature or type of auditing?

> Thank you,
> Tom

Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by Umachandar Jayachandra » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> Well just got around to installing the final release of SQL
>> 2000 today and while looking in the Server Properties window I
>> did notice the option to audit logins. You could select
>> between success/failure/all. I haven't worked with it yet but
>> I know it is there.

    But you could always do this in SQL70 also. Tom is referring to the new
'sp_configure' option to turn on C2 auditing trace on the server-side.

--
Umachandar Jayachandran
SQL Resources at http://www.umachandar.com/resources.htm

Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by Umachandar Jayachandra » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00

You do:

Exec sp_configure 'c2 audit mode' , 'true'

to turn on C2 audit trace on the server side. For more details, see the
SQL2000 BOL. There is a whole topic on this. This is available only when
'show advanced options' configuration flag is set also.

--
Umachandar Jayachandran
SQL Resources at http://www.umachandar.com/resources.htm
(Please reply only to the newsgroup)

Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by Tom Kelle » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping for a transaction level audit of record
changes, but I guess that's pushing it a little.

> Tom,

> Well just got around to installing the final release of SQL 2000 today and
> while looking in the Server Properties window I did notice the option to
> audit logins. You could select between success/failure/all. I haven't
worked
> with it yet but I know it is there.

> --
> Shawn Clark
> Senior Software Consultant
> Meridian Technology Group

> > I am interested in finding more information about the SQL Server 2000
> Audit
> > Trail features.  I searched the Microsoft web site, MSDN, the online
> > concierge, the support webcast transcript, the SQL Server newsgroups,
and
> > Microsoft Sales, but no one could provide any information.

> > From the transcript at

http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc082900/WCT082900...,

Quote:> > this was stated:

> > Reinaldo: SQL Server 7.0 does not have an audit trail, but SQL Server
2000
> > does and you can turn on C2 security. C2 security is available on SQL
> Server
> > 2000, but not on SQL Server 7.0. You cannot turn on audit trail on SQL
> > Server 7.0.

> > Does anyone know more detail about this feature or type of auditing?

> > Thank you,
> > Tom

Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Tom,

I know nothing about the following product other than their adverti*t,
but it might be worth a look ...

http://www.veryComputer.com/

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> Thanks for the info.  I was hoping for a transaction level audit of record
> changes, but I guess that's pushing it a little.

> > Tom,

> > Well just got around to installing the final release of SQL 2000 today
and
> > while looking in the Server Properties window I did notice the option to
> > audit logins. You could select between success/failure/all. I haven't
> worked
> > with it yet but I know it is there.

> > --
> > Shawn Clark
> > Senior Software Consultant
> > Meridian Technology Group

> > > I am interested in finding more information about the SQL Server 2000
> > Audit
> > > Trail features.  I searched the Microsoft web site, MSDN, the online
> > > concierge, the support webcast transcript, the SQL Server newsgroups,
> and
> > > Microsoft Sales, but no one could provide any information.

> > > From the transcript at

> http://www.veryComputer.com/,
> > > this was stated:

> > > Reinaldo: SQL Server 7.0 does not have an audit trail, but SQL Server
> 2000
> > > does and you can turn on C2 security. C2 security is available on SQL
> > Server
> > > 2000, but not on SQL Server 7.0. You cannot turn on audit trail on SQL
> > > Server 7.0.

> > > Does anyone know more detail about this feature or type of auditing?

> > > Thank you,
> > > Tom

Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

Post by Ron Pucket » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

SQLLog is a server-side, audit trail software package that tracks and logs
changes to data in Microsoft SQL-Server 7/2000 databases. Whenever a record
is
inserted, updated, or deleted, SQLLog records it and stores the original and
new values as well as the username, timestamp, and application that made the
change.

SQLLog adds complete audit trail capability to any Microsoft SQL-Server
7/2000
database. It lets you concentrate on the data model and functionality
instead of the boring chore of audit trail code.

Best of all... it is FREEWARE!

Visit http://www.veryComputer.com/

Ron Puckett

> Tom,

> I know nothing about the following product other than their adverti*t,
> but it might be worth a look ...

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> BP Margolin
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > Thanks for the info.  I was hoping for a transaction level audit of
record
> > changes, but I guess that's pushing it a little.

> > > Tom,

> > > Well just got around to installing the final release of SQL 2000 today
> and
> > > while looking in the Server Properties window I did notice the option
> > > audit logins. You could select between success/failure/all. I haven't
> > worked
> > > with it yet but I know it is there.

> > > --
> > > Shawn Clark
> > > Senior Software Consultant
> > > Meridian Technology Group

> > > Audit
> > and

http://www.veryComputer.com/,

Quote:> > > > this was stated:

Server
> > 2000
SQL
> > > Server
SQL

1. Audit Trail in SQL Server 2000

Hi,

I have to perform Audit Trail for my database (it is in SQL Server 2000). I was
planning to use triggers but considering the over head, I'm looking out for
alternate solution. SQL server in itself has Audit Trail facility. I want the
details on this. I basically want to capture all the transactions happening the
Database.
Moreover, I'm unable find a comprehensive write up on this. Are there any
specific site available where I can get these details ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Saravanan.

2. Log. logs problem

3. Audit-trails, audit-server

4. Using ESQL/C with C++

5. can i create an audit trail for an external database using SQL Server

6. *** WELCOME TO COMP.LANG.BASIC.VISUAL.* ***

7. Can i create an audit trail on an external database using SQL Server

8. Unique IDENTIFIER field

9. Audit Trails in SQL Server?

10. Audit trail insert, update delete in SQL Server 7.0

11. Using SQL Server 7 to create an audit trail for external database

12. SQL Server Audit Trail Capability (FDA 21CFRP11)