Upsizing MS Access 97 to MS SQL Server

Post by Jim Dodso » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 04:30:47

Our agency purchased a program written in MS Access97 and were told
we needed to upsize it to MS SQL 7. I sent the vendor our database
file (xxxx.mdb)at their request to upsize it.

When I unzipped the returned file, instead of being in on file,
there were 208 files with a .pcb extension.

The total size of these files was approx. 6MB, whereas, the database
file I sent them was approx. 33MB.

Not being a programmer this doesn't seem right, I was expecting to
see one large database file similar to the one I had sent them.

Any help in clarifying this is greatly appreciated.

If this is the wrong newsgroup to post this, I apologize and would
ask to be directed to the correct one.

Thanks,
Jim Dodson

Upsizing MS Access 97 to MS SQL Server

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:37:48

Jim,

It is definitely not some "native" SQL Server file.

The vendor can return a SQL Server backup file.

Or they might opt for returning script file (to create tables etc), and data
files for you to import. Perhaps this is what the vendor did. But you should
have received instructions for how to use those files!

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> Our agency purchased a program written in MS Access97 and were told
> we needed to upsize it to MS SQL 7. I sent the vendor our database
> file (xxxx.mdb)at their request to upsize it.

> When I unzipped the returned file, instead of being in on file,
> there were 208 files with a .pcb extension.

> The total size of these files was approx. 6MB, whereas, the database
> file I sent them was approx. 33MB.

> Not being a programmer this doesn't seem right, I was expecting to
> see one large database file similar to the one I had sent them.

> Any help in clarifying this is greatly appreciated.

> If this is the wrong newsgroup to post this, I apologize and would
> ask to be directed to the correct one.

> Thanks,
> Jim Dodson

1. MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

Hi this is a thread from another news group that has not been
answered. Any ideas anyone?

Thank You, Thank You...you hit it right on the money. It seems SQL
import/export converted all my MS-Access memo fields to the SQL ntext
data type. Does SQL Server have a comparable memo field type? If not
how do people get around the memo field requirement? Create text field
large enough for the average requirement?

Thanks Again

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:40:30 +0400, Alexey Dolganov

2. Ingres Upgrade advice

3. SQLOLE Permissions?

4. Upsizing ms-access 97 db-backend to sql 6.5 server backend

5. A Couple of Questions on Blobs

6. MS Access 97 SQL to MS SQL SQL SQL SQL

7. Editing Recordset Error / Executing Stored Procedures

8. How to migrate from MS Access 97 to MS SQL server 6.5

9. Connecting to MS SQL Server 6.5 via MS Access 97 and ODBC

10. Upsizing Access 97 to MS SQL 6.5

11. ODBC Error Treatment after upsizing Access 97 to MS SQL 6.5

12. Upsizing Access 97 to MS SQL 6.5