Can not set distribution site to local during setup

Can not set distribution site to local during setup

Post by Matthew Heim » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am just going through the beginning stages of replication and I am
beginning to set up the distribution site for the replication.  I
select local, and the distribution database device and log device and
then click Okay.  The problem is, I am receiving two errors that are
preventing me from setting up the distribution site.  The two errors
are as follows:

"Unable to connect to site SYSTEST1 because SYSTEST1 is not defined as
a remote server at the site." and

"Could not connect to the remote server that is to be the distributor"

My question is WHY????  Why am I looking for a remote server when I am
trying to configure the distributor as local?  SYSTEST1 is a remote
server on this box but the computer no longer exists and was only used
during the initial setup.

Matt Heiman

Can not set distribution site to local during setup

Post by Tony Rogerso » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Make sure the database is set up as a subscriber and a publisher,
(Enterprise Manager, Server, Replication Configuration...)

--
Hope the above helps.

Tony Rogerson  MCP, SQL Server MVP
Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

>I am just going through the beginning stages of replication and I am
>beginning to set up the distribution site for the replication.  I
>select local, and the distribution database device and log device and
>then click Okay.  The problem is, I am receiving two errors that are
>preventing me from setting up the distribution site.  The two errors
>are as follows:

>"Unable to connect to site SYSTEST1 because SYSTEST1 is not defined as
>a remote server at the site." and

>"Could not connect to the remote server that is to be the distributor"

>My question is WHY????  Why am I looking for a remote server when I am
>trying to configure the distributor as local?  SYSTEST1 is a remote
>server on this box but the computer no longer exists and was only used
>during the initial setup.

>Matt Heiman

Can not set distribution site to local during setup

Post by Matthew Heim » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am still in the initial stages of setting up replication and need to
set up the distribution database before I can continue with
publications and subscriptions.  The error has put me in a between
state, the distribution database is not set up correctly.  It is still
pointing to a remote server which I did not select (I tried local) and
I wish to Uninstall the distribution database but can not.  I have the
option of uninstalling Publishing but when I do nothing changes.

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:15:02 -0000, "Tony Rogerson"

>Make sure the database is set up as a subscriber and a publisher,
>(Enterprise Manager, Server, Replication Configuration...)

>--
>Hope the above helps.

>Tony Rogerson  MCP, SQL Server MVP
>Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

>>I am just going through the beginning stages of replication and I am
>>beginning to set up the distribution site for the replication.  I
>>select local, and the distribution database device and log device and
>>then click Okay.  The problem is, I am receiving two errors that are
>>preventing me from setting up the distribution site.  The two errors
>>are as follows:

>>"Unable to connect to site SYSTEST1 because SYSTEST1 is not defined as
>>a remote server at the site." and

>>"Could not connect to the remote server that is to be the distributor"

>>My question is WHY????  Why am I looking for a remote server when I am
>>trying to configure the distributor as local?  SYSTEST1 is a remote
>>server on this box but the computer no longer exists and was only used
>>during the initial setup.

>>Matt Heiman

Can not set distribution site to local during setup

Post by Tony Rogerso » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

When you uninstalll replication you have to manually remove a registry
setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Replication