ASP and RPC -- SS 6.5

Post by Paul Schliepe » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

Platform: NT 4 SP 4, SS 6.5 SP5a

Problem: I need to return results from 2 DBs on 2 servers. The ASP page
takes parameters, and calls sproc1 on SRV1, which creates temp tables,
does some dynamic SQL and then does an INSERT INTO/ EXEC SRV2...sproc2.
This works fine when run from ISQL-W as well as from Infomaker (a Sybase
reporting tool).

It does not work when run from a browser. We get the following error:

                                         Microsoft OLE DB Provider for
ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

                                       [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver]Protocol error in TDS stream

/asp/igoc/reports/igoc_statUtil.inc, line 264

The error disappears when I comment out the Order By clause in the query
in sproc2. I don't really want to do without, since I want only the Top
x records returned in descending order. In case it matters, the query in
sproc2 is dynamically generated as well. Also, sproc1 returns a result
set based on the same Order By.

Interesting: MSKB says this is a known problem which has been corrected
with the US-release of SP5a (188558). We're in Canada, and I'm under the
impression that anything we get here is the US version, at least as far
as MS is concerned. We are running SP5a on all SQL servers in question.

TIA,

Paul

1. BCP and CSV files (SS 6.5)

I'm having trouble getting a table populated using BCP.  The source
file is a CSV file of extremely simple format:

        char,char,int,int,int,char,int,char,char,char<NL>

with the table types defined as

        char[32]
        char[32]
        int
        int
        int
        char[8]
        int
        char[16]
        char[16]
        char[8]

It doesn't get much simplier.

I get various error messages, typically "Attempting to load oversized
record into table."  I think this is probably because I don't have the
"End of Record" delimter specified correctly (it's a carriage-return
line feed [0x0D 0x0A, hex]) in the format file.

This has GOT to be blood-simple to do, but I continue to trip over it.
If anyone has a hint to spare I'd be grateful.

--
All of reality is just a simulation running in God's computer.  So chill.

// net dot earthlink at huddler

2. assign rights to process jobs

3. SP Debuging Tool for SS 6.5

4. Transactions rolled forward at SQL Server startup

5. Can you shrink a Database Device in SS 6.5

6. Visual Basic interface with Sybase issue....

7. Sybase 10 --> SS 6.5 (Data Transfer)

8. Revelation still around?

9. Correct sequence of SS 6.5 DISK REINIT AND DISK REFIT commands

10. datatype TEXT in SS 6.5 ???

11. SS 6.5: Cause of an access violation

12. SS 6.5 problem creating database for load

13. SS 6.5 Disk access